~The Penalty of Leadership~

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2002

      Los Angeles, California                                            January 30, 2002

      "Every truth goes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed. In the second, it is opposed. In the third it is regarded as self evident."                                                    --   Arthur Schopenhauer

      "Nothing is easier to defend than truth, yet nothing is more difficult to propagate!"                                                       -- Bastiatlaw@...

      All good endeavors start with an idea. Ideas develop into goals, and goals develop into realities.                                   --Ron Branson, July, 2000

      The Penalty of Leadership!

      "In every field of human endeavor, he that is first must perpetually live in the white light of publicity. Whether the leadership be vested in a man or in a manufactured product, emulation and envy are ever at work. In art, in literature, in music, in industry, the reward and the punishment are always the same.

      The reward is widespread recognition; the punishment, fierce denial and detraction. When a man's work becomes a standard for the whole world, it also becomes a target for the shafts of the envious few. If his work be mediocre, he will be left severely alone - if he achieves a masterpiece, it will set a million tongues a -wagging.
      Jealousy does not protrude its forked tongue at the artist who produces a
      commonplace painting. Whatsoever you write, or paint, or play, or sing, or build, no one will strive to surpass or to slander you unless your work be stamped with the seal of genius. Long, long after a great work or a good work has been done, those who are disappointed or envious, continue to cry out that it cannot be done.

      Spiteful little voices in the domain of art
      were raised against our own Whistler as a mountback, long after the big
      would had acclaimed him its greatest artistic genius. Multitudes flocked to
      Bayreuth to worship at the musical shrine of Wagner, while the little group
      of those whom he had dethroned and displaced argued angrily that he was no musician at all. The little world continued to protest that Fulton could never build a steamboat, while the big world flocked to the river banks to see his boat steam by.

      The leader is assailed because he is a leader, and the effort to equal him is merely added proof of that leadership. Failing to equal or to excel, the follower seeks to depreciate and to destroy - but only confirms once more the superiority of that which he strives to supplant.

      There is nothing new in this. It is as old as the world and as old as human passions - envy, fear, greed, ambition, and the desire to surpass. And it all avails nothing. If the leader truly leads, he remains - the leader. Master-poet, master-painter, master-workman, each in his turn is assailed, and each holds his laurels through the ages.

      That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. That which deserves to live--lives (Smith, p. 223)."

      This text appeared as an advertisement in the Saturday Evening Post,
      January 2, 1915. Copyright Cadillac Motor Car Division.

      J.A.I.L. shall one day steer politics and tower over the greatest!

      "Give Me Your Substance, &
      I Will Give You America!"
             -Ron Branson-

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org