* What Makes America Great!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                            January 24, 2002
      "I have no reason to suppose that he, who would take away my Liberty, would not when he had me in his Power, take away everything else."
                                                                                          --  John Locke
      What Makes America Great?
      By Harry Browne
      Politicians love to tell us how special America is. But what is it that's
      special?  It can't be the scenery - the "purple mountain majesties" or "thy rocks and rills." Dozens of countries have beautiful scenery.

      It can't be the people. Citizens of other countries can be just as generous, courteous, fun-loving, or anything you might want.

      It can't be bravery. People have fought and died for their countries since
      the beginning of history. And yet, there most certainly is - or was - something singular about America. What was it?

      In my view, America's uniqueness rested on three pillars.

      1. The Bill of Rights
      The first is the concept that government is limited to a few specific,
      clearly defined functions. The Bill of Rights makes this clear. The Ninth
      and 10th Amendments specify that the federal government may not do anything that isn't spelled out in the Constitution.

      And to drive that home, the Bill of Rights specifically guarantees your
      freedom to speak, worship, write, assemble, protest, or protect yourself.
      There are no exceptions allowed - even when the politicians claim to have a "compelling interest" in limiting your liberty.

      Before America, no country was ever governed by such a document. It put government in a small, confined compartment.

      2. Voluntary association
      The Bill of Rights frees you to engage in any kind of activity you want ... provided you don't forcibly impose upon the person or property of others. Mark Skousen has said, "The triumph of persuasion over force is the sign of a civilized society."

      The American way was for commerce, personal relationships, and religion to be voluntary. No one was forced to participate in something he didn't want. So an individual could better his life - not by appealing to government force, but by offering other people incentives to do business with him. Civilization reached a new high by the maximum reliance on voluntary persuasion and the minimum reliance on government coercion.

      3. The free market
      Voluntary association produces the free market - where each person can
      choose among a multitude of possibilities. The free market empowers the most effective regulator in the world - you. You don't have to deal with a company you don't like. You don't have to buy something if you don't want it - or if the price is too high - or if you aren't sure the product is safe. The seller must satisfy you that he has what you want at a price you're willing to pay.

      With tens of millions of individual regulators like you, companies are
      pressured to provide what people want and need in the real world - not what bureaucrats think would be best in a utopian world. In the free market, you are the king because you aren't forced to buy anything you don't want. The free market brought us the greatest prosperity the world has ever known - the easiest road to escape from poverty, the widest distribution of goods and services, the wealth that permits lavish generosity.

      What is America today?
      Unfortunately, all three pillars of that unique America have been torn down. The Bill of Rights is now overruled by nine judges and ignored daily by politicians and bureaucrats.

      Voluntary association has been replaced by the government's forcible
      imposition of discrimination laws, monopoly suppliers and subsidies financed with money confiscated from you. ....
      Our politicians determine how we should live our lives - and our individual liberties are sacrificed for the benefit of the Fatherland. What is unique that's left to lose?  Those who fear a "loss of American sovereignty" to international agencies don't realize how little such agencies could bring about that we don't already have. Are they afraid someone will impose coercive health-care regulation on us? Or government schooling? Or regulations dictating the size of your toilet? What could happen that our own government hasn't already done?

      What to do
      If you devote yourself to fighting against the latest political proposal,
      you may be wasting your time. The growth of government is inevitable because the major issue has already been decided: there is no longer an America of tiny government, voluntary association, and the free market. So the only arguments now are over how the politicians will run our lives - the Republican way or the Democratic way.

      Our one hope is to persuade our fellow Americans that a return to the Bill of Rights could bring us much smaller government, much greater personal income, access to more low-cost products and services and the freedom to live your own life as you think best - not as the president or Congress wants. Every battle is trivial compared to the fight to restore that unique America.

      The only means by which our Bill of Rights will be restored to America is by holding all judges of this country to the Constitution they have sworn to uphold by direct  judicial accountability to us, the citizens. This goal will be accomplished through passage of J.A.I.L. throughout this country.
      Once J.A.I.L. has gained control over this nation's judiciary, it shall then dominate the direction of the other two branches of government, who shall be unable to resist J.A.I.L.'s influence.  J.A.I.L. is the ONLY answer for America!

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org