Life As An Honest Attorney

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2002

      Los Angeles, California                                            January 21, 2002

      Life As An Honest Attorney

      By JAILer Attorney Helena Mizrahi

      Dear Friends:

      I am located in the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan area. My experience in many of the Virginia courts...is that attorneys who are not part of the inner circle of the court can not get justice for their clients when one of the cronies of the bench is the opposing counsel. The judges fine attorneys who are not deterred from carrying out their obligation to their client, from honoring the high standards of the legal profession, and from abiding by the rule of law because of the fact the crony is the opposing counsel, and is to win by hook and by crook and because of his crony standing.

      The state bar is an extension of this system, so it does not end with the fines imposed by the bench. The state bar pursues frivolous complaints filed by the cronies of the bench against ethical attorneys, and dismisses legitimate counter-complaints against the cronies by the ethical lawyer trying to maintain integrity in the system. The same problem exists in D.C. There is nothing to do, because they have you by the neck, because they control the lawyers' license and can, and do, resort to threatening the lawyer's license, and when the lawyer is standing his ground, they resort to trying to sully the lawyer's good reputation by publishing in the bar magazine that the bar has charged the attorney with interference with the administration of justice--that's what they call it if you do your job and the court doesn't like you for it.

      There is nothing one can do, except stop taking clients' cases so as to not perpetrate a fraud on the trusting public, knowing the way the system works. There is no accountability. .... This is running ethical lawyers out of the profession, and running up the cost of legal services to the client and the attorney's operating expenses. ....

      There is nothing you can do, except leave or lower your standards so that you do not pay fines, except the client ends up loosing because you are going with the flow of whatever that court wants you to do, as opposed to going with the flow of the rules of professional conduct and the rule of law.

      Also, in some cases, the facts of the case are actually changed when the decision is issued. Call it stupidity, call it deliberate, but after long hours over months and years of pursuing the rule of law and justice, I call it not worth it. .... Like Gerry Spence said, Courts are terrible, terrible places. .... Research shows that other than getting caught fixing cases or taking bribes, judges hold the position of God, pretty much. .... So then... Knock, Knock.. Who's there? A question is here: What does a judge and a criminal have in common? Answer: They both sit on a bench.

      If the above does not reach you on the absolute need for judicial accountability through J.A.I.L., nothing will! Attorney Helena Mizrahi has recently joined the nationwide J.A.I.L. Team.  -Ron Branson
      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org