* The Unprofitable Servant

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                              January 7, 2002

      The Unprofitable Servant

      Below is a report on Judge McFalls who fired three members of his personal staff and intended to hire his son, but his son turned down his dad's offer. In lieu of hiring his son, who does the judge decide to hire on his staff? Well, let's see.

      Branson Tri-Lakes Daily News
      December 5, 2001

      Pittsburgh (AP) -- An Allegheny County judge said he will hire a former  Pittsburgh city councilman and convicted felon as his court crier, after the judge's son turned down the job.

      Common Pleas Judge Patrick McFalls said Ben Woods accepted the position over the weekend. It pays $32.577.

      Woods, 59, was forced to resign as president of the city council in 1989 after being convicted of racketeering, income-tax evasion, extortion and conspiracy. ....

      Authorities said Woods accepted nearly $48,000 in bribes from contractors who did work with the city. He served three years in minimum-security federal prisons ....

      "He's one of the finest public servants I've known in my life," McFalls said of Woods. ...."

      If the "finest public servant" Judge McFalls knows has been convicted of racketeering, extortion, bribery, and conspiracy, what does this say for our public servants, -- and for the quality of qualified court personnel?

      I don't know about you, but perhaps the judge's son knew more than we think he did, or was smarter than his father when he turned down the job. Hummm, anyone have any money to bet that bribery will have its way again, this time in court? What do you think?

      Quiz question: What do you do with unprofitable public servants? You promote them to a more sensitive position, and give them a raise, of course!

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org