"These Judges Should Be Labeled Terrorists..."

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2001
      Los Angeles, California                                December 27, 2001

      J.A.I.L. was not founded with the intent of swatting at individual flies, but, rather, to formulate a bug-bomb capable of cleaning out the entire judicial house.  - L'isbeth N. Rothe, Colorado JAILer-In-Chief

      "These Judges Should Be Labeled Terrorists..."
      Citizens for Judicial Accountability

      See, article below on Justice Department.  As per article the Justice
      Department is mislabeling the cases, as terrorist activites - although they
      are not - to justify their 22 billion dollar budget, because Congress
      provides big money to the Justice Department for anti-terrorist activities.
      At the same time nothing is being done about judges who rob, plunder and
      steal on the bench.  Although criminal activities, even of judges, especially
      federal, is under the Justice Department, they send you to the do-nothing
      Judicial Committees.  These judges should be labeled terrrorists, and so they
      do come under the Justice Department.

      CforJA by Judy   cforja@...

      By MARK FAZLOLLAH and PETER NICHOLAS
      Knight Ridder Newspapers

      WASHINGTON - Key congressional leaders called Wednesday for an investigation of whether the Justice Department is inflating the number of cases it calls terrorism to make itself look good.

      Rep. Dan Burton, R-Ind., asked the General Accounting Office, the
      investigative arm of Congress, to audit the Justice Department's list of
      terrorism cases. Burton cited a Knight Ridder story that documented how the
      department for years has inflated its terrorism case reports with
      run-of-the-mill criminal cases. Critics contend the practice continued after
      the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States.

      "Where they were misrepresenting those figures of the terrorists convicted,
      it shows they may be lying to the Congress of the United States, and those
      responsible for that should be removed from office," Burton, chairman of the
      Committee on Government Reform, said at a Capitol news conference with four members of his committee.

      "This is one more indication of a heightened need for congressional oversight
      of the department." Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., echoed Burton's demand for an audit by the GAO. "I think GAO is a good agency to run an investigation to get to the bottom of the Department of Justice's classification of terrorist prosecutions," Specter said. Specter said the Knight Ridder story "raises very serious questions that need to be answered. GAO ought to go through all the cases."

      The Knight Ridder story, based on a computer analysis of Justice Department and federal court records, cited a number of garden-variety crimes that were
      listed as terrorism cases. Some of them involved erratic behavior by people
      with mental illnesses, passengers getting drunk on airplanes and convicts
      rioting to get better food in prison.

      Current and former Justice Department officials say the terrorism case
      reports are provided to Congress to justify the department's $22 billion
      annual budget, which includes counterterrorism funding.

      "If the Justice Department is inflating figures like that, it's another example of why the Congress needs to have oversight over that branch of government," Burton said. "And if we're being given false information, then of course those responsible at the Justice Department need to be held accountable, and we will hold them accountable."

      Burton said he has asked the GAO to review the Justice Department's figures
      for terrorism arrests and convictions in fiscal 1999 and 2000. For fiscal 2000, which ended Sept. 30, 2000, the department's annual report said there were 236 convictions for terrorism. Critics, including former Justice Department officials, said the number was clearly inflated.

      Bryan Sierra, a Justice Department spokesman, said the department did not
      want "to quibble about the definition of terrorism," and would cooperate with
      Congress. "We've always been as cooperative as we could be with Congress,'' Sierra said.

      Sierra said the attorney general regularly provides Congress with information
      about arrests and convictions of supposed terrorists, but he was unsure if
      the information had been used to determine funding for the Justice
      Department. He said he could not comment on the accuracy of data that had
      been submitted to Congress.

      (For questions and follow-up to this article, contact Judy at cforja@...)

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org