** Courts Authorize Greater Police Powers

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2001
      Los Angeles, California                                        December 20, 2001
      www.jail4judges.org

      Courts Authorize
      Greater Police Powers

      N.Y. police win more latitude in traffic stops
      By Yancey Roy
      RochesterNews
      Democrat and Chronicle

      ALBANY (Wednesday, December 19, 2001) -- In a landmark ruling, New York's top court yesterday gave police wide latitude to stop vehicles for traffic violations and then search for evidence of serious crimes.

      The Court of Appeals said in a 4-3 decision that New York should follow the less stringent federal guidelines for making such stops.

      The court said that when police have probable cause to believe the driver of a vehicle has violated laws, a stop-and-search doesn't violate New York's constitutional guarantee against illegal searches.

      Defense lawyers said the ruling would allow officers to use more than 3,000 traffic law provisions to stop someone.

      "This greatly expands their ability to use traffic stops to investigate unrelated behavior -- and I believe it won't stop there," said Rochester lawyer Thomas A. Corletta, who represented Patrick Reynolds, one of three defendants in the case that the top court reviewed.

      Prosecutors cheered the ruling because it removes a subjective standard -- an officer's motivation -- for judging validity of a stop.

      ....[Snipped]

      How many times have we stated in our J.A.I.L. articles that the rise of Nazi-like police powers shall continue unabated in this country until  judges are held accountable by the citizens through the passage of J.A.I.L.?  It was Frederick Douglass, Aug. 4, 1857, who said "Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."

      So, J.A.I.L. challenges you to answer these two questions. How much police oppression will you submit to, and how low will you go before you decide to take a stand? Your answer please! Oh, what's that? You are unable to respond? Well take this challenge then. J.A.I.L. is the ONLY answer! When are you going to join the rising team of JAILers throughout this country? You have no other choice!  VictoryUSA@....
      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org