* Inquiry Urged Of Judges' Fund

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2001
      Los Angeles, California                                            August 16, 2001

      Daily News - August 16, 2001
      Inquiry Urged of Judges' Fund
      State Audit Would Determine Propriety of 'Coffee and Flowers' Account
      by Tony Anderson, Staff Writer

      State Sen. Sheila Kuehl called Wednesday for an official state inquiry into whether Los Angeles County judges operated a special account partly supported by child custody and support cases as a slush fund for their own benefit.
      Details of the fund, supported by lawyer contributions, court monitors and legal seminar fees, emerged out of a legal battle between the judges' association and a group of parents who claim they were victimized by the family court system because of the financial interests of the judges.

      Superior Court spokesman Kyle Christopherson said judges pay a fee for events such as Marina Del Rey cruises and the fund pays part.

      "That doesn't happen with the golfing tournaments, but with the cruises when they come up short, then money may be taken out of the fund to make up for whatever small difference there may be," he said.

      Kuehl said a "number of troubling issues" have been raised and asked the auditor to review records since 1990 for possible misconduct.

      La Crescenta resident Marvin Brier, a retired computer analyst who spent several years and more than $100,000 investigating the fund while helping his daughter with a child-custody issue, said the investigation is long overdue and could help clean up the child custody system.

      "Parents have had no remedies when their children are taken away," Brier said. "When you find out the other side is wooing the judge with corporate money, it totally destroys the integrity of the whole process."

      Christopherson said Presiding Judge James A. Bascue has ordered his own audit of the fund, ....

      In the letter to Kuehl, NOW Executive Director Helen Grieco wrote.... "The appearance... is that a group of judges within the Los Angeles Superior Court are operating a checking account and a business that is essentially 'off the books' with no oversight from any regulatory agency, and receiving money from attorneys who are practicing in their courtrooms," Grieco wrote.

      "To those of us on the outside, this appears highly improper, if not illegal."
      *   *   *

      There was once a very famous man who won a public election by a landslide - only to immediately go down with his infamous statement,  "I'm Not A Crook." That man was President Richard Nixon.

      Whether an institution or a man, whenever one must constantly defend itself from public criticism, they have already lost the battle. So with the judicial system. In order to function with integrity, the judicial system  must operate above and beyond reproach. It must be publicly perceived as honest and upright, seeking truth and justice in all its ways regardless of the issues or the parties before it.

      Today, however, the judiciary is constantly on the defensive, explaining away the public perception of conflicts of interest, political favors, double standards, graft, and greed. The judicial system now is like a wife finding her husband in bed with another woman who argues, "This isn't what it looks like."

      These are all the signs of a judicial system run amok followed by certain collapse. It's purely a matter of time! It is for this reason that everyone, by the passage of time, will see the self-evident conclusion that J.A.I.L. is the only answer for this country. Line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little, until all shall see the truth. Once that fact is grasped my the multitudes, J.A.I.L. will capture this country like nothing that has ever been seen before.
      J.A.I.L. is the new means of a peaceful revolution in this country.
      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org