Give The Gov't A New Toy & Look What Happens

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2001

      Los Angeles, California                                             August 9, 2001
      Give The Government A New Toy, And Look What Happens?
      Tampa Man Questioned
      After Face Scanning Camera Catches Image
      The Associated Press
      Aug 8, 2001

      TAMPA, Fla.  (AP) - A construction worker whose picture was caught by a surveillance camera while on lunch was questioned by police after an Oklahoma woman saw his picture in a magazine and claimed he was her
      ex-husband and was wanted on felony child neglect charges.

      Problem is, Rob Milliron has never been married, doesn't have any children and has never been to Oklahoma. Milliron's photograph was captured by the face-recognizing FaceIt program in June while he was on a lunch break in Ybor City.

      The computer program allows police to scan faces in crowds looking for wanted criminals.  The computer matches the electronic imaging against a database of 30,000 mug shots of felons, sexual predators and runaways.
      There are 36 cameras set up in Ybor City, the center of Tampa's night life.

      Milliron didn't know it at the time, but the police department used his
      photo to demonstrate the system to local news media. His photo ran in the St.  Petersburg Times June 30.  A caption under the photo read, "The man in this image was not identified as wanted."

      The Times later sold the photo to U.S.  News and World Report.
      Beneath his photo in the magazine, a headline read, "You Can't Hide Those Lying Eyes in Tampa." "It made me out to be a criminal," Milliron said.

      A woman in Tulsa saw his picture in the magazine and called Tampa
      police.  She said the man in the photo was her ex-husband and was wanted by police on charges of child neglect.

      Milliron, 32, was questioned by three police officers at his job site
      Monday.  After they determined he wasn't the man the Oklahoma woman called about, they let him go home. "He was absolutely horrified," said Milliron's girlfriend, Cheryl Toole.

      The FaceIt program has drawn national criticism as an unlawful invasion of privacy.  The ACLU and House Majority Leader Dick Armey, R-Texas opposed Tampa's use of the software. But Tampa Mayor Dick Greco has said the cameras will remain in place.

      Milliron, who says he plans to hire an attorney, said he hopes the software system will be removed. "I don't think it's right," he said.  "They made me feel like a criminal."

      This story can be found at : http://ap.tbo.com/ap/florida/MGAOVK7U4QC.html
      Story sent by Jackie Juntti (WGEN)  idzrus@...

      J.A.I.L. is the new means of a peaceful revolution in this country.
      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org