** Why Contempt Of Court?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2001

      Los Angeles, California                                           June 25 11, 2001
      Behinds the scenes of J.A.I.L. For Judges is an interchange from state to state of questions, comments, and suggestions on how me may work at prevailing on our cause of judicial accountability. This is a unique privilege of the JAILers. (Becoming a JAILer is open to all who agree with J.A.I.L.'s objective of bringing judicial accountability to this country.)

      Sometime ingenious comments arise that must not be hidden from the eyes of all our J.A.I.L. News Journal readers. Below is one of them. Note the question, followed by the answer, which is one you would not expect from an attorney at law. (Warning, brace yourself.)

      Why Contempt Of Court?
      by JAILer Dan Shumaker

      Al Johnson, [the JAILer-In-Chief of Texas] has made some powerful enemies here in Harris County [Texas].  He was arrested on contempt charges on March 6, while attending a hearing .... O.K., I'm not a lawyer.  Perhaps I'll be showing my ignorance here.  Or perhaps we've allowed lawyers to write the laws in this country for too long.  I've always been confused as to why there is a need for such a charge as "contempt of court."

      As I understand it, this does not mean the accused has contempt for the court ... it is the court's (i.e. judge's) contempt for the individual accused.  So who made him a god or king that he can jail people whom he doesn't like or for whom he has contempt?  What is the purpose in such a "crime" even existing in a free society?  ....

      Daniel E. Shumaker,
      Florida JAILer
      Chipley, Florida
      danshu@...

      The Answer
      by Attorney Alberto Batista

      Contempt of Court is how a bunch of closet-popes who wear "robes" to work empower themselves to feel less impotent.

      For some unknown reason, vicious little rich kids who used to get beaten up when they were in High School need to imprison others in order to feel like they have made their point.

      It is the old question of why you usually never see any of these  nancies at the mall, shopping center, etc. (Show me a judge who is shopping at the local mall (some do) and I will show you an honest judge who is not afraid of the public). Mostly they are terrified of their constituents, and they have their maids, wives, or mommies do their shopping because they are afraid that someone will recognize them on the street and stomp their guts out.

      This is what leads to the "Ivory Tower" syndrome; wherein these pontificating popes lead a bizarre life of being whisked in and out of Court and then back home and then to the Awards Banquets where their benefactors (the puppet masters) give them an award and applaud their ability to ignore reality and piss on the people.

      Alberto Batista
      Florida JAILer

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org