* Gaining Understanding of Why J.A.I.L. - By Barbie

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2001

      Los Angeles, California                                               May 18, 2001

      GAINING AN UNDERSTANDING OF WHY WE NEED J.A.I.L.
      (A precious response to share with all of you)

      Barbie,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my letter. I received several responses and it was very comforting.

      I'd like to take a moment to offer an explanation as to why I was offended by parts of the article [you sent out]. It was only after my "judicial rape" that I sought out J.A.I.L and other organizations alike. As I said, I didn't know these resources existed before. Since my ordeal, I've learned more about the severity of the corruption of our system. This has always been a cause I feel passionate about, but more so now because of the knowledge I've gained.

      Maybe I jumped the gun in my letter [to you], and for that I apologize. I do understand and appreciate the meaning behind that article, and I only wish that everyone could benefit, and take from it what I did. I've always said (and I sincerely mean it) that I would never strive to be rich nor famous, but simply remembered for making a difference. That is the goal I keep in mind in almost everything I do. In fighting a system that has grown so big and so intimidating, it's hard to know where to start, or what exactly it is that I can do to help change come about.

      I know of a woman who was sent to jail because she expressed to a judge that she no longer wanted child support from a "deadbeat dad" who the judge was in the process of throwing in jail for being behind. It seems to be the trend in my county. The county jail is so full, inmates sleep on the floor and picnic tables. These are not hardened criminals, but merely everyday people like you and I who got caught up in the system and now have no way out. I just wonder who is feeding all the children whose father (and/or mothers) are in jail unable to earn money to support them.

      My wonderful, and very supporting partner has been suffering a similar ordeal. He has been to jail several times while expected to maintain employment. He has been to court at least once and sometimes twice a month for the past year and a half concerning child support. He has been behind in the past but never a deadbeat dad. His payments are drafted from his paycheck guaranteeing the ex-wife $310 every two weeks. (he only makes $10 an hour)

      Last month he stood before the very same judge who threw the woman in jail for not wanting child support any longer and the very same judge .... Judge (Kenneth Washburn-Alamance County, NC) ordered him to turn over his entire check (the remainder after the $310 payment) to his ex. Not only that, he left it up to the ex. whether or not he would be allowed to keep enough money for food until his next check in 2 weeks. Of course she said no. That was one of
      two choices. The other being 30 days in jail forcing him to lose his job and fall further behind. (At least he would be ALLOWED to eat). That's only the least of it. There's so much more.

      What do you do when the system has grown to have so much control over you that you are forced to be their victim to retain any freedom at all? How do we change and prevent such "judicial rapes?" How do we hold these "officials" accountable? They do it because they can. How do we show them that they can't anymore, and that they didn't get away with it? How do we make them accountable, and show them that there are consequences for being crooked and unfair?

      The "people" rising above the system that controls us all is dependent upon every individual. Each individual needs to know what the problems are, and that there is hope, and that changes can be made. We need to know where to start as individuals in our communities...in our counties...in our states and so on. WHAT CAN I DO?

      Thank you so much for your valuable time.
      With sincere thanks,
      Melissa Boyles
      mkboyles@...
      Alamance County, NC

      It is responses like this one that reinforces our firm belief that J.A.I.L. is the only answer to bring this nation back to the greatness it once had and was intended to be by our Founding Fathers. We express our deep gratitude to Melissa Boyles of North Carolina for her honest and humble thoughts about what truly needs to be done. Many, if not most of you can identify with her personal story, but Melissa's story serves as a background bringing about her realization that we now have to look beyond our personal courtroom tragedies and focus on the solution that will correct the problem for all of us.

      We trust that there will be others who, like Melissa, discovers that we as a People must concentrate our combined efforts to actively pursue that solution--  J.A.I.L. !

      "... But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. ..." Declaration of Independence, 1776.  Folks, this is our DUTY!    -Barbie-  jail4judges@...

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org