Before The U.S. Sup. Ct. (PT. I - The Event).

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2001

      Los Angeles, California                                              May 15, 2001

      Before The U.S. Supreme Court
      (PT. I  - The Event)

      JAIL4Judges participated in a major demonstration in Washington, D.C. on May 6th in front of the United States Supreme Court.  Below is the report on this event as given by military Captain Dennis M. Hatcher, now JAILer-In-Chief of Georgia, and since promoted to serve as our Associate J.A.I.L. Commander-In-Chief.

      In the interest of brevity, we have pared down the report using ellipsis, and in the interest of readability, have supplied connecting words. You will find this report very inspiring and motivating to get involved in freedom for your country.

      Sunday May 6   We arrived at the Supreme Court Building at approximately 9:30 am. I introduced myself to the people who were already setting up the posters and podium.  One dedicated group had brought a utility van completely outfitted for the maintenance and assembly of demonstration equipment. At precisely 9:45am, President Bush and his motorcade drove past approximately 15-20 feet away from our demonstration site.  If he looked our way, he saw people assembling signs and meeting each other. ....

      At around ...1:00 p.m. ...demonstrators were gathering in large numbers and starting to march at random along 2nd Street, the road that separates the Supreme Court Building from the Capitol Building.

      At this time, I took partial control of the marchers and using a bullhorn, began to shout slogans and messages to all who would hear.  Within a very short time, the chant "JAIL for Judges" became the rallying cry. I pointed the bullhorn at the Capitol Building and implored visitors and tourists to join our demonstration. Instantly, crowds of people were drawn to the street, and many crossed over and picked up a sign.

      Several foreign tourists asked me about our demonstration. They seemed very impressed about what we were doing.  I personally made the acquaintance of one Russian and one Nicaraguan, and there were many others. A Japanese reporter took a J4J card and asked if she and her crew could film us. Naturally, I said yes.

      As the chanting became more aggressive, more D.C. policemen arrived and positioned themselves on the steps of the court house.  I counted ten policemen in the front, but more were probably guarding the sides and rear of the building.  Later, there would be threats of arrest from these policemen and verbal confrontations about our J4J T-shirts.  All during this one hour period prior to the speeches, tour buses and bands of foot tourists paraded by us, taking thousands of photos.  At least one high school tour group received a lecture from their teachers on the right to demonstrate, and several students asked me about our cause.  I simply told them that if we do not act now, then they will inherit our failures.

      At 2:00pm, rally organizer David Grossack addressed the crowd of approximately 115 demonstrators.  He made several comments in addition to a general introduction.  One of David's most important points was the mention that he and his group are fighting corruption in the courts by taking up the causes of those who have been bankrupted by attorneys and then left to finish their cases without representation when the money ran out.  He got a good reception from the crowd.  He then introduced me as the first speechmaker and plugged J4J as one of the fastest growing anti-immunity organizations in the nation. I had a distinct advantage by being the first to speak as I had the attention of the crowd. ...

      I presented my prepared speech (See Part II for the full speech)....  After the speech, I was complimented on it's content and I and the other JAILers began to pass out J4J cards in large quantities. ...

      At this point, at approximately 3:00 p.m., I attempted to sit on the steps of the court house, as I was weary of my crutches (I had to have  surgery on my leg) and was greatly fatigued in my legs.  I gently lowered myself onto the bottom step.  I was there approximately 15 seconds when one of the police guards walked up behind me and told me I could not sit there, and that I would be arrested if I did not get up.

      Indignantly, I asked the officer to explain just why it was that I, as a U.S. Citizen was not allowed to sit upon the steps of a building that belongs to the Citizens of the United States. He answered that he didn't make the rules only enforced them (I was reminded of that same defense  used by the Nazis at the Nuremberg war crimes trials). I asked who it was that made this rule because I wanted to protest it. The officer didn't know.  I then stated that I was a Federal Officer of this government, one who has fought for, and protected the Constitution of this country, and that I was damned if I would be told I could not sit on the steps of a building that belonged to All the People.

      After several minutes of this type of exchange, during which many photos were taken, another officer (age mid twenties) approached me.  In his most commanding and intimidating voice demanded to know my name. I stated my rank and name. Then I asked him what branch of the military he served in.  When he told me he hadn't served in the military, I replied that freedom has a flavor which those who have never  defended it can never know.  I deliberately pulled out a J4J card, wrote my full name and rank on the back and handed it to him saying, "I want you to be sure to get my name right."  He took it!  The officer took a J4J card. I was bursting inside with glee that I had managed to get the enemy to take my card!

          The officer explained that I couldn't be on the steps because of my J.A.I.L. t-shirt. ... I said to him, "This doesn't pass the common sense test.  People who wear t-shirts with every conceivable obscenity can walk on these steps under the protection of freedom of speech, yet I wear one with 4 initials on the back and exercise my constitutional right, but I'm to be arrested?"  I pointed to the engraved portico which states: "EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW."   "That's why we are protesting, because you just denied me equal justice."  The young officer clearly saw my point and shook his head in embarrassment, but stuck to his guns:  I would be arrested if I did not stay off the steps.

      Finally I said to him, "Have you ever heard of Senator Max Cleland of Georgia?  He lost both legs and an arm defending that slogan (I pointed to the portico).  Are you telling me that if he were here today, you'd arrest him, too?"  The cop said nothing.  My last words to him were, "We'll just have to see, won't we?  I will let Senator Cleland know what happened here today."  Several pictures were taken during this confrontation which I have to share. ...

      So many people wanted J4J t-shirts I could have sold all 30, I'm sure, but I was prohibited from selling them there without a vendor's permit. ....

      I can be contacted at (770) 682-6220 for a telephonic discussion of this report.

      Dennis M. Hatcher
      Georgia JAILer

      (Be sure to read Part II for the text of the speech given by Hatcher)

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org