* Judges Need J.A.I.L.

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 6:51 PM

      Los Angeles, California                                               April 12, 2001

      Judges Need J.A.I.L. For Security

      The following Times article reminds us of the design of boilers. Why is it that every boiler automatically has designed therein a pressure release valve? The answer is obvious -- for safety and security. Without pressure release valves, any boiler could very well cause a tremendous explosion, and people could get hurt.

      Judges everywhere are now crying out for more security, and too must have a pressure release valve for safety and security. Without a safety release valve, matters in the judicial branch of government are bound to eventually explode. It is J.A.I.L. that will afford judges just exactly what they need, a citizen safety valve for their own protection.

      When a boiler tank is nearing its full strain, and about to burst, one does not seal off the escaping steam and turn up the heat. Yet this is exactly what the judges are doing, building more walls of separation from the very public they serve. Next thing we know, we will find judges on the bench behind bullet-proof glass.

      We propose that all judges everywhere in this nation take a hard look at J.A.I.L. for the public safety and good of all, including themselves.

      While the following article deals only with California, the picture is the same throughout the country.

      Security Found Lacking In Many Courthouses
      .... By MAURADOIAN, Times Staff Writer

      SAN FRANCISCO-- Many California courts lack adequate security ...and the price tag for fixing them will reach about $3 billion over 10 years, a state task force reported Thursday.

      Public safety is at risk, the group of judges and state and county officials said. .... The three year survey determined that 21% of all courtrooms in California are deficient primarily because of poor security.
      .... The task force estimated that the statewill have to spend $104 million a year over the next 20 years on new buildings.

      The state now spends about $2.3 billion a year, or 2.7% of the California budget, for courts.
      In a courthouse in San Luis Obispo County, one judge stacked thick federal reports in front of his bench, the court administrator said. The books were intended to act as a bullet shield.

      Judges in many courts must pass through the front of the courtroom to exit, which can be perilous...
      In his annual address to the Legislature earlier this year, Chief Justice Ronald M. George called court security an "urgent" problem and the lack of maintenance in court buildings "alarming."  ....

      Los Angeles Times, 4/13/01

      Sent by Att. Gary Zerman

      Zerman has served faithfully many years for the cause of J.A.I.L., having seen no other hope, but a certain explosion.

      * Note the words above, "The task force estimated that the state will have to spend $104 million a year..." Wshsssel, I'm certainly glad the state is going to pay this. I thought for a minute that the taxpayers were going to be strapped with this huge debt.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org