Strip-Searching School Children

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2001

      Los Angeles - April 10, 2001
      ______________________________________

      Strip-Searching School Children
      Parents Outraged After Son Strip-Searched At School
      Wednesday, February 28, 2001

      (KCNC News4) Parents of an eight-year-old Fort Collins boy say they are outraged that teachers strip-searched their little boy at school. The school claims it was looking for signs of child abuse, but the search turned up nothing.
      NEWS4 Investigator Brian Maass tells us more.

      The parents have no criminal record in Colorado and say they have never been contacted by any child protection agency. But based on a complaint, Jim and Kim Tassitano's eight-year-old son Nick was strip-searched at school.

      Nick Tassitano likes what most eight-year-olds like, but he doesn't like
      what happened at Odea Elementary School in Fort Collins. It was December 1st. Nick was in 2nd grade at Odea. A teacher and vice
      principal pulled him into an office. "They pulled down my pants and one of them, Mister Grote took my underwear and looked if there were any scars or scratches," remembered Nick. ....

      "How'd that make you feel?"

      "Uncomfortable." ....

      "I think what they did was outrageous. I'm very angry that they feel so justified in this," said Jim Tassitano. ....

      The school's attorney says, "The district has done nothing wrong. This
      examination was done in the utmost reasonable good faith and nothing
      inappropriate or indecent was intended or occurred." But what triggered the strip search? The school's not saying. But according to a Fort Collins Police report, "social services had not requested the search."

      Nick's parents have moved him to a private school. They insist the only time Nick was ever abused, was when he was strip searched at school. ....

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org