When the state becomes parent

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001

      Los Angeles - February 28, 2001

      Pursuant to a request for a retraction, J.A.I.L. sends the following to its readership:

      I want you to remove your false and misleading statement about me at once and distribute a correction that makes it very clear to everyone to who you sent Gilding the Gavel? that IDELLE CLARKE has NEVER, not ONCE, ever attended one of your JAIL meetings nor does she intend to.

      I expect you are thinking of Adel Broas Trent - who uses different last names depending upon where she is. The irony of your gross misinformation is that "Adel" was the "monitor" being paid by my daughter's father to "supervise" the abuse KCAL9 broadcast last November.  I hope this makes it very clear to you why I insist upon IMMEDIATE correction of the misinformation you have broadcast. It is deplorable to me to be confused with that Adel Broas Trent.

      When the state becomes parent
      Child protection services agencies accused of abuse

      By Mollie Martin
      © 1999 WorldNetDaily.com

      Five-year-old Deborah Hasson was pulled out of her kindergarten class and
      taken to the nurse's office. Her ears were bright red, and the child  constantly complained of an intense pain. The school, required by law to
      report anything of this nature, called Child Protective Services in
      Fromberg, Mont.

      CPS immediately concluded that the child was being abused at home, and so that same hour picked her up from school and arranged to place her into a foster-care situation. Deborah's mother, Grace, was horrified upon hearing this and immediately produced a doctor's report, which explained that Deborah had an ear infection. CPS chose to ignore this information and insisted that Deborah was being abused. That was the fall of 1992. The
      incident launched a violent custody battle that lasted for two and a half
      years.

      In 1995, the very night Deborah came home, Grace, a single mother, was
      awakened at 2 a.m. by a harsh rapping at the door. Through the window she could see four police officers and a social worker. In a state of panic she called her friend Betty for help.

      When Betty arrived she found a hysterical Grace handcuffed downstairs with a police officer, and the male social worker upstairs with the three
      frantic, young girls. The social worker said nothing more than that he had
      received an anonymous report of abuse. Grace was arrested and the children were put into foster homes. It was to be another four and a half years of bitter court battles before Grace would clear her name and regain custody of her daughters.

      Too outrageous to be true? According to Dr. Marc Einhorn, a forensic
      psychologist in Atlanta, Ga., these types of cases are prevalent throughout
      child protection agency suits across the country. Einhorn has been involved in several hundred cases across five states.

      Einhorn said that Child Protective Services started in 1974 with the best
      of intentions. Back then the definition of child abuse was narrow --
      consisting of what reasonable people thought of as abuse. Over time,
      however, that definition has broadened to include anything and everything
      you can imagine -- whatever the state deems appropriate.

      Many states now have very broad definitions of abuse. For example Utah's is simply "actual or non-accidental harm." This leaves grounds for the removal of children up to the discretion of the social worker.

      Einhorn recalls a case he worked on involving a family in Salt Lake City.
      The family had four handicapped children, one being severely autistic. The
      parents decided to apply for Social Security benefits for the autistic child, and had him examined as a part of the standard application process.
      The child protection agency of Utah got wind of the application and removed all four children from their home. The grounds? The parents were exploiting the handicapped children for money.

      Matthew Hilton, the family's attorney commented, "It's not the happiest
      area to deal with ... these are real fights, some are black and white, but
      most are in the gray." The guidelines are very vague. Juvenile court has its own set of rules and laws, which are very informal. A lot of "protections" are put up around the children.

      "The problem with the system is that Child Protective Services has quotas
      to fill," Einhorn said. "If a certain number of children are not removed
      from their homes each year, the agency will lose status and funding --
      causing people to lose their jobs." He said that this causes children to be
      removed on the flimsiest of terms.
      Einhorn recalled many social workers he worked with in the past who left
      CPS in sheer disgust of the corruption of the system. According to the
      caseworkers, executives would "sit back and lick their chops" while
      deciding which family to harass next. One caseworker quit after working
      with the agency for 12 years. He said 95 percent of the children should
      never have been removed from their homes.
      ....  [Snipped]

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org