* Victory Over Social Security Number Despite Court

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2001

      Los Angeles - February 18, 2001
      Victory Over Social Security Number Despite Court
      Rep. Lambert (WA.) is asking for people to testify on this SSN issue. [Washington residents] Please - please - please - if this is important to you (and I certainly hope it is) - contact Mat in Rep. Lamberts office - (360) 786-7878. ....  Jackie Juntti  WGEN  idzrus@...

      From: "Representative Kathy Lambert, lambert_ka@...
      Subject: RE: {WA} LEG/NID: HB 1899 -SSN's on Professional licenses.

      ".... There are several other Bills too.  There is one in higher education that says colleges cannot use it [SSN] as an identifier.  Then I have one that says banks cannot use it [SSN] as an identifier.  They can use it for tax reasons, but they cannot use it as the Pin number or security code when you call in or use their automated systems.  I could use some people to testify for the Bill. So if you know anyone that would be willing to do so, please have them call my office and talk to Mat at (360) 786-7878.
      As soon as we know the date and time, we will contact them.  We will also have a joint memorial to Congress praising Michigan for suing to not have to use the SSN numbers.

      Rep. Kathy Lambert

      2/ 7/01  7:10 p.m.
                                 WASHINGTON STATE LEGISLATURE
                                             History of HB 1899

      HB 1899  Prohibiting the use of social security numbers and drivers'
      license numbers in professional licenses.

      Sponsors:   Representatives Bush; McIntire; Cairnes; Keiser; DeBolt;
                        Hatfield; Benson; Santos; Roach; Miloscia; Barlean; Lovick;
                        Casada; O'Brien; Morell; Simpson; Mielke; Jackley; Pearson;

                                   HOUSE BILL 1899

      State of Washington       57th Legislature       2001 Regular Session

      By Representatives Bush, McIntire, Cairnes, Keiser, DeBolt, Hatfield,
      Benson, Santos, Roach, Miloscia, Barlean, Lovick, Casada, O'Brien,
      Morell, Simpson, Mielke, Jackley, Pearson and Romero

      Read first time.  Referred to Committee.
            AN ACT Relating to the use of identifying information in
      professional licenses; and adding a new section to chapter 43.24 RCW.

            {+ NEW SECTION. +}  Sec. 1.  A new section is added to chapter
      43.24 RCW to read as follows:
      Social security numbers and drivers' license numbers may not be used as part of a professional license.  Professional licenses containing such information that are in existence on the effective date of this section shall comply with this section by July 1, 2002, or the next renewal date, whichever is sooner.

      This past Friday, February 16, 2001, I was scheduled to appear at the Department of Motor Vehicles here in California for a renewal of my temporary "drivers license." It is a piece of paper issued me in lieu of a driver's license, because I do not have a Social Security Number. I have been getting these temporaries for the last seven years, in which I have been returning to the DMV approximently every two months for renewal, and have to take a test every year and pay a fee. Citizens who have taken the number pay the same fee amount only once in four years and take the test then. That's the penalty for opposing the number.
      The lady ran up my record, and as usual, asked the common question, "Have I gotten your Social Security Number yet." I told her that I was a Christian and an ordained minister, and held very strong Biblical objections to being forced into receiving the number to do things which are in obedience to God. She then identified herself as a Christian and said we have to obey the laws of the land, and that the laws require us to have a Social Security Number. I then related to her the case of Judge Michael G. Knott who stated to the effect that anyone without a Social Security Number must obtain and use such number even if it was contrary to their faith in Jesus Christ. (The case is Nowlin vs. D.M.V. 53 Cal.App.4th 1529 Apr. 2, 1997) I then challenged her on the question that if one must, under edict of government, surrender allegiance to Jesus Christ, give up their faith and receive the number just because government says so even if it violates their Biblical faith in Christ, how could that be considered an act of obedience to God?
      She told me that there have been changes in the computer system, and that she could no longer issue me a temporary, and that's the law, and if I wanted to challenge that, I would very likely lose. But she did say, if you go to the Social Security Administration and tell them my story, they will give me an exemption form that she could enter into the DMV computer that will do an end run around the required Social Security Number.
      With that, I left the DMV and went to lunch, pondering my options. Could I find a remedy by visiting another state? or would I have to bring a suit against the DMV and though I lose, as long as I am litigating the question for years to the U.S. Supreme Court, another court could not get involved, or enforce the license against me. Well, I took her up on visiting the Social Security Administration that same afternoon, and what a surprise I received.
      When I arrived at window #1 I explained that the DMV was refusing to give me a driver's license without a Social Security Number. She asked me for I.D., and I gave her my temporary. She left the window and returned with a form SSA-L676 which said, "Dear Ronald Branson, We cannot give you a Social Security card because: .... Your have requested a Social Security number in order to obtain a California Driver's license. The State of California no longer requires a Social Security number in order to obtain a regular driver's license."
      The form was stamped by the SSA with the name of the District Manager thereon. I was told to take it back to the DMV and give it to them, and they will issue me a driver's license without a Social Security Number.
      I returned to the DMV and the same lady took the form and performed the end run around the DMV computer and said that I will be receiving the license in the mail. I left the DMV singing praises to the Lord for His mighty works.     -Ron Branson
      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org