* Cult of Judges

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2001

      Los Angeles - February 18, 2001

      Molokai Advertiser-News, Pg.3
      January 24, 2001
      By George Peabody

      Cult of Judges

      Although judiciary has been able to promote its own power fairly well, the courts do know that their power rests exclusively on their prestige. They work very hard on puffing up their reputations as unanimous, impartial, and independent bastions as the rule of law in the hope that someone will actually listen to them. They are powerless in executing any of their laws on their own, for they do not command any troops or any army of bureaucrats.

      As a result, a cult of judicial supremacy has grown up within the legal profession. The judges and lawyers within the cult do their best to always make each other look good and to generally avoid controversy. They have odd habits like no other branch of government. They wear strange puffy black robes, and everyone has to stand up every time they enter the room. No one feels the need to stand up when the councilman from Molokia enters the room, yet when Podunk County judge Joe Schmoe enters the courtroom, everyone's suddenly on their feet.

      Unlike elected politicians who openly criticize each other and engage in open debate, the modern Supreme Court and the inferior state equivalents are huddled in a back room poring over some legal texts trying to figure out how they can best subvert the law without losing any of their precious prestige and apparent legitimacy.

      Like any good cult, they speak sparingly with outsiders of their own powers and of their role in society.

      With the election of 2000, the edifice has cracked, and some light has shone in on the cult. With passions running so high, judges have begun to show their true colors, and while this would have been an excellent opportunity to show their supposed judicial restraint, the Florida and U.S. Supreme courts couldn't wait to get involved. The judicial infighting that has followed is truly a beautiful thing. With split decisions and partisan colors flying, the courts have been so unable to restrain themselves that the hideous innards of judicial lawmaking have been flung out on the table at last.

      Even the Supreme Court has not always been successful in enforcing its fiats. When Marshall declared the President Andrew Jackson's Indian policy was unconstitutional, Jackson ignored the decision and said, "Mr. Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it." When Chief Justice Roger Taney criticized Lincoln's habit of suspending habeas corpus, Lincoln just ignored him.

      What are citizens supposed to do when forced to comply with an unconstitutional law? The logical answer should be, "Tak'em to court and mak'em justify the law on Constitutional grounds." But why are we still being harassed? Is it because no one has thought of taking them to court, or is it because the courts are not exercising their duty of overturning these unconstitutional laws? Hmmmm. Let me see... No country can go into anarchy but by rulings of its courts. As we have continually said, nearly every problem in this country leads back to an unaccountable judicial system.

      We need a legal system that enforces accountability for illegal actions by judges, prosecutors, lawyers and other officers of the Judicial branch. We need judicial accountability and integrity laws (that's J.A.I.L. for Judges, aka J4J).

      Yes, that's it: Judicial Accountability & Integrity Law! J.A.I.L. for Judges! must be introduced and passed in the 2001 Hawaii State Legislature -- The MAN.

      Call your legislators TODAY; Support J.A.I.L. for Judges!

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org