* Let's Applaud Georgia J.A.I.L.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2001

      Los Angeles - January 27, 2001
      Let's Applaud Georgia J.A.I.L.

      Those on our regular subscribers list do not see the network of our national J.A.I.L. leadership. Sometimes we like to lift the curtain and allow you to peek in. Below is such an occasion in which we wish to share with you our successes. The following are the words of Army Captain Dennis M. Hatcher (Ret.), the head of our Georgia State J.A.I.L. Chapter, (dmhatch@...). We trust you will be as thrilled as we are with Georgia J.A.I.L.'s accomplishments.

      Dear GA. Jailers,

      In spite of last minute reservations, the [Jan. 23rd] press conference and rally went off well, and we were able to meet 95% of our objectives!  No one else from JAIL but Kimberley Brown showed up, and she earned her weight in gold! The best part is this:  I was able to pigeon-hole Rep David Lucas like I had wanted (it was reported he was not there, but low and behold I caught him walking down the stairs behind me, as if God put him in my path!).  I introduced myself and gave him my J4J spiel.  I said we had to put the power of the judiciary back in the hands of the people, he said "I don't know if we can do that, but we can't continue doing business as usual." Guess what he did?...he invited me to speak at the next Judiciary Committee meeting!  I'm arranging it with his secretary. Kim introduced me to one of the senior senators, Joe Burton, who came right out of chambers when Kim paged him!  We talked and he's on our side!

      My short speech was taped by channel 11, FOX 5 News, GA Public Television, and 2 others I was unable to identify.  I was interviewed by V103 Radio and I passed out nearly 100 J4J cards. Many folks were impressed by my JAIL jacket sent by Sherree from FL and they LOVED the concept of judges in jail, literally!  I was stopped 4 times inside the Capitol by people wanting to know what those letters meant and when I told them, they were ecstatic. Each knew of someone, or themselves, who have been victimized by the system.  Dozens more watched me and looked at the jacket.  Two of the TV camera men actually walked behind me and got shots of the big yellow J.A.I.L. logo!  I'm telling you, this was an exciting and wonderful trip.  So very productive in such a short time. Kim and I stayed as long as we could, But we were both exhausted by the time 12 noon rolled around!

      I'll fill you in more later.  I really have to rest now.  We did good!!!

      -Dennis-

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org