*** Learning To Use The Grand Jury

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2000
      (page 31 Bastiatlaw@...)

          If America's Grand Jurors were made aware of their power and their duty, they could keep a close watch on all elected officials and public "servants."
          The constitutional empowerment of Grand Jury independence appears in Amendment 5:  "No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger."

          Unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury.

          Unlike petit juries, grand juries do not convict or acquit - they merely investigate and accuse or dismiss. Grand Juries evolved to shield the individual from unjust or malicious prosecution by the government. The Grand Jury decides whether or not the target of the investigation will be indicted and go to trial. The court cannot limit the members of the Grand Jury in their legitimate investigation.
          A presentment is an accusation initiated by the Grand Jury itself, independent of any agent of government. It is an instruction that an indictment be drawn. Presentments can stop the rampant obstruction of justice by police and prosecutors. Government can be forced to obey the law and kidnapping and racketeering under color of law can be stopped. Grand Juries
      have the power.
          A Grand Jury has the right to exclude anyone, including prosecutors, from its meetings, any statutes to the contrary notwithstanding, but we have foolishly permitted our Grand Juries to become rubber stamps for prosecutors. Judicial
      construction of a lot of secrecy nonsense makes the Grand Jury inaccessible to persons who wish to report a felony without alerting government agents. Grand Jury inaccessibility acts as a very effective shield for corrupt officials.
          America's fundamental problem is legal rather than political. If we want to force government to obey the uncorrupted law of the land, then demanding that Grand Juries be fully informed of their power and their duty is the best place to begin.
          More than half the states do not use Grand Juries.*  Their excuse is that the Grand Jury has become a rubber stamp for the prosecutor. However, their own constructed nonsense is responsible and they damned well know it. Prosecutors have usurped control of Grand Juries without a whisper of protest from America's great legal minds. I wonder why?
          Police and prosecutors obstruct justice with impunity because citizens have no open channel to report crimes to their Grand Jury. Sovereign citizens also lack the knowledge necessary to use the legal system without the interference
      of a lawyer. We must reclaim our legal turf.
          Officials are insulated from discovery and prosecution. Grand Juries, accessible to the people, along with mandamus writs and the recording of an action at law and declaratory judgment against scoundrels, incompetents and criminals in government can remedy this evil. Every Sovereign Citizen of the
      Republic should be aware of the power available to him and know how to use it.

      * It should be noted that wherein more than half the states do not have or use Grand Juries, that constitutionally, anyone in those more than half the states could also commit open multiple murders in front of hundreds of witnesses and/or any other sort of infamous [felonious] crimes and never be held to answer. That means they could not even be tried for their crimes, much less be convicted or acquitted.
          Let's read that 5th Amendment again, "No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury,..."  One could imagine what this defense would do to our burgeoning prison population in those states! Where are the defense attorneys and the courts on this? Elimination of the Grand Jury system cannot be an option, as Grand Juries ARE the power of, and belong to, uniquely the People!
      -Ron Branson