* 'Twas A Week Past Election'

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2000

      Los Angeles - November 22, 2000

      'Twas  A  Week  Past Election'

      'Twas a week past election and all through the land,
      Not a president was chosen; no decision at hand.
      The ballots were counted, again and again
      In hopes that in Florida at last someone would win.

      Georgie Dubya had won it, or so the vote said
      And thoughts of his cabinet danced in his head.
      While Gore and his lawyers, and Bush and his too,
      Argued and argued about what to do.

      When down in Palm Beach there arose such a clatter,
      Where thousands of voters were mad as a hatter!
      The box for Buchanan was too close to Gore's,
      So Bush got the most votes.  Should Gore have had more?

      Then what in the nation's poor eyes did appear?
      But thousands of lawyers and lawsuits to hear.
      Faster and faster the lawyers they came,
      With truckloads of briefs, and some people to blame.

      And then the Vice President said, and I quote:
      "We must do a hand count of each voter's vote."
      The country then watched as Florida reported
      Numbers and figures that sounded distorted.

      The Veep wasn't winning; his chances were thin,
      But he hoped if he kept up, in the end, he might win.
      The governor's aides were upset, and they shouted,
      "We've won the election.  Why should we hand count it?"

      Soon no one cared just who'd be elected,
      As long as it ended and one was selected.
      As they pulled Palm Beach County and counted again,
      We knew this fiasco was not soon to end.

      Thousands protested the votes that were tossed,
      No one would ever concede that he'd lost.
      The media debated long into the night,
      Whether the holes should have been on left or the right.

      And so no one knew from the west to the east,
      Who got the most votes and who got the least.
      'Cause ballots that no one had counted before
      Suddenly showed up as votes for Al Gore.

      The courts all decided; the votes certified.
      The race was decided; it was no longer tied.
      It took quite a while, but the count was complete.
      One was victorious, the other was beat.

      One of them waits for his inauguration.
      The other goes home.  He won't lead our nation.
      The people were calm, and now so were their fears.
      And the media warned, "We'll be back in four years."

      Now our country must judge -- was it all just a game?
      The folks down in Florida will ne'er be the same.
      They have lost all respect; they have lost all their pride
      Now the State has come out with a new voter's guide.

      - Author Unknown-

      Here it is Thanksgiving tomorrow, yet we have no president. The Florida Supreme Court has spoken, ignore the law, we will control. The Florida Legislature is up in arms that the Supreme Court has usurped their authority. There is bound to come out of this new and revised legislation, but I ask, what shall it say, "The courts shall not violate this revised law?" Surely this thought will arise in the minds of legislators the nation over, "How do we write a law that the courts will respect." The answer, of course, is it can't be done.

      I have said time and time again that the issue of judicial activism shall more and more assume center stage in the political arena of this nation, and that is precisely what is happening now. Long after this Presidential battle is over, there shall remain the fallout. "What shall we do about activist courts legislating from the bench?" Judicial legislation in the Florida Supreme Court is not an aberration, but is going on in a daily occurrence in all fifty states. Many articles have and are being written about it, discussing it adinfinitum.

      I have further repeated time and time again that J.A.I.L. is the ONLY answer this nation will ever know, and that fact is becoming more and more self-evident. No mater who becomes the next President, there shall be no clear winner with a mandate from the people. The next four years promises to be fertile soil for the Judicial Accountability Initiative Law in all fifty states in this nation. Whether the legislators wish to accept it or not, J.A.I.L. is their only alternative, and the sooner they recognize it, the better.

      Without a certain political drumbeat, even the faithful members of the two-party system are likely to look elsewhere for a positive drumbeat.  J.A.I.L. is that positive drumbeat!

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      To contact the author of JAIL4Judges: jail4judges@...