I'll Huff & Puff & Blow Your Church Down

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2000

      Los Angeles - November 15, 2000
      For a beautiful navy blue T-shirt with "J.A.I.L." on the back and www.jail4judges.org large and visible over the pocket, imprinted in a bright yellow-gold lettering, send your check payable to J.A.I.L. for $11.95 plus $4 S&H. (Discounts on volume quantities.) Wear them to your next courthouse function and watch the reaction.

      (Yesterday the federal marshals were scheduled to march in to the Indianapolis Baptist Temple and seize the building and twenty some acres of land for "supposed" back taxes. There were present some seven-hundred persons present, some staying overnight, and this set deadline event did not happen. We feel constrained to keep you abreast of this matter.) *

      http://www.SierraTimes.com
      SierraTimes.com Update
      11/15/00 IBT Update 6:45 p.m.

      I've received a number of e-mails asking me "why doesn't the IBT think that they have to pay taxes?" and I'd like to address this question.  I've
      discussed this in the past and the church's press releases have explained
      their position in detail, but as an old preacher explained when he was asked how he gives a sermon, "first you tell them what you're going to tell them, then you tell them, then you tell them what you've just told them."  So here goes.

      First a disclaimer:  I am not a member of the Indianapolis Baptist Temple. I am not a Baptist.  I am not a theologian or an attorney.

      The IBT's position is quite simple:  Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior
      and is the Head of the church.  If they incorporate their church or become a 501(c)3 not-for-profit entity the government, not Jesus Christ, is the head of the church.  A corporation is an artificial entity created and sanctioned by the state and must follow the guidelines set down by the government.

      A corporation must collect withholding taxes (federal and state income
      taxes, FICA and medicare taxes) and pay these to the government.  The IBT is not incorporated and is not a not-for-profit organization, but rather is a "New Testament" church.  They do not have employees but ministers.  Their ministers are paid based upon the love offerings that the church receives and the individuals themselves are responsible for paying their taxes (just like an independent contractor or the self-employed).

      The individual ministers have all been audited by the IRS and the IRS
      determined that all taxes have been paid.  The issue isn't that the taxes
      have not been paid, but that the church did not withhold the taxes and pay them to the government.  The $6 million amount that the IRS says that the church owes is based upon an IRS assessment that said that the church should have withheld and paid approximately $200,000 to the government and the remainder of the $6 million figure consists of interest and fines.  Again, the taxes were paid, not by the church in the form of withholding taxes, but by the individual ministers.

      This is more than the spitting of hairs.  A 501(c) organization is forbidden by the government from engaging in lobbying.  You may recall that there was a church in New York state that was prosecuted by the IRS for taking out a full page ad in USA Today urging people to not vote for Bill Clinton and speaking out against abortion and other activities which they saw as evil. That church lost it's not-for-profit status and was severely damaged as a result.  By incorporating and/or being a not-for-profit organization a church serves two masters.

      The IBT sees this as a fundamental issue and one that has cropped up
      throughout history.  In the past, churches have been persecuted for not
      being an officially state sanctioned church.  Ministers and congregations
      have been jailed, tortured and/or killed for not having a license from the
      state.  People fled from the Old World to the New World to practice their religion in peace and without seeking the permission of kings or queens. Today, in countries such as China, people who wish to worship as they please without government approval do so at their own peril and many are arrested and jailed (or worse) each year for the crime of following their conscience.

      By refusing to bow to the demands of the IRS tyrants the IBT is practicing what they preach and are bearing witness to Christ. Like Rev. Dixon has stated many times:  this is not a tax issue, but a control issue.

      Hopefully, my brief explanation will clear up any continuing confusion
      regarding the genesis of this crisis.

      Today I returned to the IBT and found at least a couple of hundred people occupying the building.  Everyone seemed to be in good spirits and were settling in for a long stay.  In fact they'd draped a banner over the pulpit that read "Jesus says:  Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13"

      Several young men were playing their guitars.  Children were playing.  Men and women were drinking coffee and eating donuts and laughing and visiting.

      I spoke with Kim Borges, a member of the IBT for the past 18 years.  She told me that her little sister was a graduate of the IBT's school.  I asked her if she'd gone to the church's school and she said "no" she went to the government schools.

      She has two daughters, ages 6 and 8, and they both attended school at the IBT.  If the church doesn't find a building she'll have to find another
      Christian school for her children or she might home school them until the end of the school year.  She said she'd never send her children to the
      public schools and that while her children were attending school at the
      church she had never had to worry about their safety.

      Kim, a small business owner, said she "wished people would come in and see what we stand for.  We're not fanatics.  We get up, go to work and come home and eat dinner like everyone else.  It's our right to believe what we want to believe.  If believing in the Bible is wrong, then something's wrong."

      After I spoke with Kim I walked around the church and saw that flowers had just been delivered to the front door.  It was a large funereal looking
      arrangement with a ribbon banner that read "Rest in Peace- First Amendment".

      I later ran into Bruce Evan Murch.  I heard him speak the previous night
      about his activism with Operation Rescue.  He related his many experiences with "rescues" and especially the summer that Operation Rescue spent in "saving babies" in Wichita, Kansas 9 years ago.  He has an e-mail list of approximately 500 people and he's sent out requests asking them to come and help occupy the church.  He also asked all those individuals to forward his request on to others, ad infinitum.

      He stressed to me that this is not about saving a building, but about
      witnessing for Christ to the nation.

      Due to professional obligations I will not be able to go to the church
      everyday, but I will keep in touch with them and report as best as I can.

      In Liberty,

      Paul Zimmerman

      * I have said time and time again everyone's frustrations involving government is attributable to some court decision at some level that is brought to bare upon the subject, and the above is no exception. It is pointed out above that this is not a tax issue, but a control issue. True! But I point out further that this is not even an IRS issue, but a court issue. The power and seat of the IRS Beast IS the Federal Courts. Without the Federal Courts, the IRS is totally powerless, yet many concentrate their time, energy, and emphasis upon the IRS. The IRS is but a toothless paper tiger which serves to distract from the real enemy, the Federal Courts! I've been in the Federal Court on others IRS matters and saw this very, very clearly!

          One time when I was addressing a crowd of people, someone piped up and rebuffed me, saying, "I don't think God is so concerned about corrupt judges as He is about murdering babies." He complaint was against the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court Decision, which proved the very point I was just making at that time, and that is that every frustration with government policies leads back to a court decision at some level that spawned it. Take the test and see if this is not true. Think of a evil government policy, any government evil, then search for a case that spawned that evil policy. Bingo, you now have the reason why that evil continues and abounds.

      With accountable courts to the People, near 90% of evil government policies would evaporate with approximately 90% of the "laws." This is why we absolutely need J.A.I.L. in this country!

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      To send published judicial articles: USA-jail4judges@...
      To contact the author of JAIL4Judges: jail4judges@...