Lawyers Concerned Over Lawyer's Jokes

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2000

      Los Angeles - September 21, 2000
      Get a J.A.I.L. For Judges T-Shirt for your next court appearance.
      Write baronboy@... and place your order today!

      Lawyers Concerned Over Lawyer Jokes & The Waning Image Of Their Profession. *

          On Friday, September 8th the U.S. trial lawyers gathered to deal with their waning public image of lawyers and the countless attorney jokes that are going around the country. They feel that their noble profession was suffering a continual declining respect.

          The gathering involved the over 400,000 membership American Bar Association and some nine other lawyer groups, and summed up a three years study conducted by themselves.

          They concluded that they were suffering a public perception that
      lawyers were purely motivated more by the greed for money and gain than as a public service as officers of the court.

          They suggested that they must all work to restore the American public's respect for lawyers and the judicial system. They indicated that they thought it appropriate that an effort should be directed at law schools to stress upon ethics as future lawyers.

          They also stated that it was now imperative that they come up with some ingenious means to inform the public of their value and that of the justice system. With this goal in mind, they issued a press release to a National Press Club news conference.

          In bemoaning their waning public image, those contributing to the report acknowledged that the lawyers were relying on anecdotal  evidence, and that their phenomenon was nothing new.

      J.A.I.L. would have loved to have reprinted the Reuter source of the above article in full, however, it is stamped "Copyright 2000, Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters." Therefore, JAIL has  recreated the story and only alludes to the salient facts.
          I might say, the following is all too common of the following real-life experience. A lawyer's wife was asked at a night club what here husband's profession was. She shrieked in horror and  embarrassment, and would concoct some other profession to keep from admitting her husband was an attorney.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      To send published judicial articles: USA-jail4judges@...
      To contact the author of JAIL4Judges: jail4judges@...