*** The Wake Behind J.A.I.L.

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2000

      Los Angeles - September 17, 2000
      Get a J.A.I.L. For Judges T-Shirt for your next court appearance.
      Write baronboy@... and place your order today!
      The Wake Behind J.A.I.L.
          Yesterday, Saturday, September 16th, the author/founder of J.A.I.L. and one of its attorneys, Gary Zerman, were invited to participate in a Town Hall Meeting called "Beyond Rampart." It was sponsored by The Alliance of America for Police, Judicial, and Governmental Accountability Now Project, a national non-profit, non-partisan organization. The whole event was professionally video-taped with three television cameras, and present was an L.A. Times reporter.
          The motivational factor was the killing of Michael Arnold by law enforcement officers after a traffic stop. Michael was shot at with over 250 rounds and struck by 165 of them, 55 of which were fatal. Michael was white, unarmed, a talented musician and poet, gentle in character, and part of a loving family. He was driving a Lincoln Town Car when stopped by law enforcement officers. Michael did not own a gun. For more details, you may contact Michael's mother, Constance Flaum at pwrpack@.... Constance is co-founder of AFPJGANP.
          Among the speakers was Linda Guevara, City Councilwoman for the City of Huntington Park, California. After being elected by the people, she immediately started receiving shocking reports about how her City's police were involved in all kinds of crimes and were out of control. She called for a special meeting with her colleagues to discuss her findings. The result was that the rest of the City Council voted not to take any action and set in motion to ostracize Linda and strip her of all her committee positions. In their efforts to malign her, they could not agree amongst themselves how to go about it, and in the process Linda was reinstated to most of her positions, including that of Mayor Pro Tem. She said she would be taking up the position of Mayor in a few months for the City of Huntington Park. When she does, she says she is going to make major and drastic changes in the City.
          While the emphasis of the Town Hall Meeting was diversified, mostly centering on police abuse, the message of JAIL was well represented and known to the majority of those in attendance, with one speaker, Irene Jensen of Utah being a former Californian and 1996 proponent of JAIL's predecessor, the "Judicial Reform Act of 1996."
      Irene, whose major cause is Child Custody issues, stated in her speech that she finds that the only answer is JAIL. She also told us that the knowledge of JAIL is really flourishing in Utah.
          Gary Zerman, Chairman of JAIL's Legal Committee, spoke on the need for JAIL. He stated that he doesn't even blame the police any more for all the atrocities they cause. It is an expected and protected code of behavior and fully covered up by the judicial system.
          Ron Branson, wearing his J.A.I.L. T-shirt, followed shortly thereafter with the report on how JAIL is spreading nationwide with thirty-one states now participating, and the expectation that all fifty will be taking part by the end of the year. The nineteen states yet to be claimed for JAIL are: Texas, South Dakota, Iowa, Rhode Island, Utah, Wyoming, South Carolina, Ohio, Missouri, Connecticut, Massachusetts, West Virginia, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, and Wisconsin.
          Branson spoke optimistically on the plan of JAIL, and that we were not just a group of people yelling "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it any more." That JAIL has a methodical means described by Washington State Supreme Court candidate Doug Schafer as "achievable." That we're not talking about "Pie in the sky in the sweet by and by" but a realistic, achievable program that can and WILL be realized, and that people are going to be hearing more and more about JAIL from all quarters of this nation.
          The goal of the sponsoring organization is to scoop up an ever-enlarging coalition of other groups, in contradistinction to that of JAIL which is to leave an ever-broadening wake of other organizations supporting and following JAIL with its singular focus. We are finding that the scoop in front of other organizations is becoming the wake behind JAIL.

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      To send published judicial articles: USA-jail4judges@...
      To contact the author of JAIL4Judges: jail4judges@...