*** Foresight After J.A.I.L. Becomes Law!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2000

      Los Angeles - September 14, 2000
      Get a J.A.I.L. For Judges T-Shirt for your next court appearance.
      Write baronboy@... and place your order today!

      Foresight After J.A.I.L. Becomes Law!*

      Los Angeles Times
      September 14, 2000

      Wen Ho Lee Freed; Judge Scolds U.S. Over Case Tactics
      By Bob Drogin, Times Staff Writer
      [Excerpts]

          Albuquerque -- Wen Ho Lee walked out of court a free man Wednesday after a federal judge repeatedly apologized for incarcerating him for nine months without trial and angrily rebuked the Clinton administration for its handling of a case that "embarrassed this entire nation."
          Norman Bay, U.S. attorney for New Mexico, called the resolution of the high-profile and highly controversial disposition for the government a fair disposition for the defendant."

          But the court hearing was dominated by U.S. District Judge James A. Parker's stunning summation, an emotion-charged monologue in which he repeatedly apologized to Lee and bitterly condemned government prosecutorial tactics.

          Speaking in somber tones to a packed and hushed courtroom, Parker excoriated what he called the "top decision-makers in the executive branch." He particularly criticized the White House, U.S. Atty. Gen. Janet Reno, Energy Secretary Bill Richardson and the FBI for their roles in bringing the case.

      "They have embarrassed this entire nation and each of us who is a citizen of it." Parker said.

          The decision to prosecute Lee, he said, "was made at the highest level of the executive branch in Washington, DC."
          The executive branch, Parker warned, "has enormous power, the abuse of which can be devastating to our citizens."
          Prosecutors sat stone-faced through much of Parker's harsh scolding. The FBI's chief investigator, Robert Messemer, whose recantation last month of his own testimony sharply undermined the prosecution's case, scowled. ....
          But Parker, who took over as chief federal judge in New Mexico this month, repeatedly said that the government "misled" him by exaggerating evidence against Lee in December when prosecutors  insisted that the Taiwan-born scientist should be denied bail and held incommunicado in jail until his trial.

          "Dr. Lee, I feel great sadness that I was led astray" during the December bail hearing, Parker said.

          Parker, 63, also criticized John J. Kelly, the former U.S. Attorney here, who quit in January to run for Congress. Before leaving, Kelly "personally argued vehemently against your release and persuaded me not to release you," the judge told Lee.

          "In hindsight, you should not have been held in custody," he added.

          Until recently, Lee spent his time in virtual solitary confinement in a Santa Fe jail. He was allowed to see his family one hour a week and to exercise alone one hour a day. He was shackled hand and foot even during those periods, however, as well as during his meetings with his lawyers.
      "Dr. Lee, you were terribly wronged by being held in pretrial custody in demeaning and unnecessarily punitive conditions," Parker said, "I am truly sorry."
          But Parker called it "Most perplexing" that the government, which repeatedly fought to keep Lee in jail, "Should suddenly agree to release you" without any conditions. "This makes no sense to me."
          In the end, the FBI admitted that it had no evidence that Lee was a spy and he was not charged with espionage.

      *     The above article is evidence for those Doubting Thomas's who fail to see the judiciary as the central part of the problem in this country. Note how Federal Judge Parker took on the U.S. Attorney, the FBI, Attorney General Janet Reno, and even the White House. All were subject to his rulings. Although not executed, the power was his  to impose sanctions against all those who "misled" him and abused the judicial process.
          Once JAIL becomes law, we shall see all kinds of reversals and  rebukes from judges across this country on the way government is and has been doing things. And I presume that many of those decision will have sanctions imposed.
          A simple state judge has more ultimate power than the governor of the state, or even the state legislature. A single federal judge has more ultimate power than the White House and Congress put together. Just thing about that! JAIL is the ONLY answer this nation will ever know!
      -Ron Branson

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org
      To send published judicial articles: USA-jail4judges@...
      To contact the author of JAIL4Judges: jail4judges@...