Behold, We Are Now There!

  • Ron Branson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19 12:44 PM

      "We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.  We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude.  If we run into such debts that we must be taxed in our meat and drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and amusements, for our callings and creeds ... we will have no time to think, no means of calling our mismanagers to account, but be glad to obtain substance by hiring ourselves to rivet the chains to the necks of our fellow suffers ... and this is the tendency of all human governments.  A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for another till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automations of misery ... and the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt.  Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression."      ~    Thomas Jefferson