Fw: pub.whitehouse.gov>: 2000-06-02 Proclamation on Gay and Lesbian Pride Month 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2000

      ATTENTION ALL CHRISTIANS -- I GUESS WE CAN ALL KNOW NOW WHAT THE TRUE
      DEFINITION OF BEING "POLITICALLY CORRECT" IS NOW -- Michael W.

      From: The White House <Publications-Admin@...>
      To: Public-Distribution@...
      Subject: 2000-06-02 Proclamation on Gay and Lesbian Pride Month 2000
      Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:27 -0400

                                    THE WHITE HOUSE

                             Office of the Press Secretary
                                   (Berlin, Germany)

      For Immediate Release                                       June 2, 2000

                           GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE MONTH, 2000

                                     - - - - - - -

                   BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

                                    A PROCLAMATION

           Gay and lesbian Americans have made important and lasting
      contributions to our Nation in every field of endeavor.  Too often,
      however, gays and lesbians face prejudice and discrimination; too many
      have had to hide or deny their sexual orientation in order to keep their
      jobs or to live safely in their communities.

           In recent years, we have made some progress righting these wrongs.
      Since the Stonewall uprising in New York City more than 30 years ago,
      the gay and lesbian rights movement has united gays and lesbians, their
      families and friends, and all those committed to justice and equality in
      a crusade to outlaw discriminatory laws and practices and to protect
      gays and lesbians from prejudice and persecution.

           I am proud of the part that my Administration has played to achieve
      these goals.  Today, more openly gay and lesbian individuals serve in
      senior posts throughout the Federal Government than during any other
      Administration.  To build on our progress, in 1998 I issued an Executive
      Order to prohibit discrimination in the Federal civilian workforce based
      on sexual orientation, and my Administration continues to fight for the
      Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would outlaw discrimination in
      the workplace based on sexual orientation.

           Yet many challenges still lie before us.  As we have learned from
      recent tragedies, prejudice against gays and lesbians can still erupt
      into acts of hatred and violence.  I continue to call upon the Congress
      pass meaningful hate crimes legislation to strengthen the Department
      of Justice's ability to prosecute hate crimes committed due to the
      victim's sexual orientation.

           With each passing year the American people become more receptive to
      diversity and more open to those who are different from themselves.  Our
      Nation is at last realizing that gays and lesbians must no longer be
      "strangers among friends," as the civil rights pioneer David Mixner once
      noted.  Rather, we must finally recognize these Americans for what they
      are:  our colleagues and neighbors, daughters and sons, sisters and
      brothers, friends and partners.

           This June, recognizing the joys and sorrows that the gay and
      lesbian movement has witnessed and the work that remains to be done, we
      observe Gay and Lesbian Pride Month and celebrate the progress we have
      made in creating a society more inclusive and accepting of gays and
      lesbians.  I hope that in this new millennium we will continue to
      break down the walls of fear and prejudice and work to build a bridge
      to understanding and tolerance, until gays and lesbians are afforded
      the same rights and responsibilities as all Americans.

           NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the United
      States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the
      Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June
      2000 as Gay and Lesbian Pride Month.  I encourage all Americans to
      observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and
      activities that celebrate our diversity and recognize the gay and
      lesbian Americans whose many and varied contributions have enriched
      our national life.

           IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this second
      day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand, and of the
      Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and
      twenty-fourth.

                                         WILLIAM J. CLINTON

                                       # # #