Courts Going Down For The Count

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2008
      Courts Going Down For The Count
      If you have caught the drift of the message of J.A.I.L. it is that either the courts are going to have to go down, or the People will have to go down, there is absolutely no middle ground. The fact is, the present state of the economy is related to an unaccountable judiciary. If you are asking, "How so?" it is a simple deduction that only by the judiciary has our country abandoned our sound money system of silver and gold as established by our Founding Fathers in the Constitution in favor of a fiat paper currency. There is a basic rule at play here, and that all paper "money" invariably returns to its intrinsic value, and that is the price of paper. So the calculation here is, "What is the price of paper?" Once our country established paper as the money of account, the collapse of our economy was sealed as certain as the natural law of gravity, and it was only a matter of passage time. Have we hit the bottom yet? The answer to this question turns on whether we have hit the point where paper "money" is the same value as the paper it is printed on. If the answer is "NO," then we shall certainly sink further until we get there!
      It should also be further noted that when the money of account is debauched, crime rises until it becomes uncontrollable. In other words, no amount of hired additional police forces will be able to bring crime under control. As I have always said, "J.A.I.L. is the only answer," unless you believe revolution is the only answer. We are faced with either J.A.I.L. or a revolution. But even if the later be consider the answer, J.A.I.L. will still be essential!
      - Ron Branson

      California's top judge pleads for judiciary funds

      By Crystal Carreon - ccarreon@...

      Wednesday, March 26, 2008

      As California struggles with a multibillion-dollar deficit, the lead judge of the nation's largest state court system pleaded his case at the Capitol on Tuesday for funds to pay for new courthouses, improved security and more judges.

      California Supreme Court Chief Justice Ronald George, in his 13th annual State of the Judiciary address, acknowledged the current budget strain and said he was not asking for "sweeping new initiatives." But he stressed the need for resources "essential to the very integrity of the justice system."

      "The failure to provide sufficient resources and personnel for the court system risks depriving California of an effective public civil justice system," George said. "I believe we all agree that a functional court system is not a luxury – it is an essential component of state government."

      George told the joint session of lawmakers that the judiciary has introduced and supported programs, such as services to help individuals representing themselves in court or the availability of interpreters, without the help of legislative funding.

      But the judiciary has reached a point where support is vital to ensure safety and the smooth operation of the courts, which, as George pointed out, often set precedents for the country.

      Unlike other addresses in recent years, George's State of the Judiciary arrived as the state is facing a budget shortfall of at least $8 billion. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has proposed across-the-board cuts of 10 percent to most state agencies and is looking to cut up to $245 million from the judicial branch.

      That means that no new judges will arrive this year to any bench in California, including the six that were scheduled to arrive in Sacramento County, which handles one of the largest caseloads in the state.

      "We were desperate before, and this is simply going to make the desperation put over for another year," Sacramento Presiding Court Judge James Mize said before the session. "The courts that need the most will be suffering the most by this delay."

      In his address, George said California ranks at the bottom of comparable states in the number of judges on the bench in proportion to the state's population.

      The Central Valley and the Inland Empire are particularly affected, he said, pointing out that Riverside – for the second year in a row – had to close down its civil courtrooms and use those judges to handle criminal cases.

      Mize said Sacramento County has resorted to similar practices, creating up to a yearlong backlog now in the civil courts.

      Courthouse security was another prominent theme of George's speech, coupled with his renewed call for new courthouse construction and renovations of current buildings.

      A proposed bond measure that had been discussed last year for placement on the November ballot has taken a new form in Senate Bill 1407, sponsored by Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata.

      The pending bill seeks $5 billion in revenue bonds to support upgrades and construction.

      About the writer:

      • Call The Bee's Crystal Carreon, (916) 321-1203.