* * I Have Heroes * *

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2006
      "I Have Heroes"

      (By Michael James Anthony - michaeljamesanthony@...)

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 11:08 AM
      Subject: SD NEWS

      Dear Ron and Barbie,

      People sometimes ask me why I feel the way I do, why I think the way I do, why I say what I say and why I do what I do. It's because I'm no dummy. I have heroes. Their thoughts and ideas are my thoughts and ideas.  Those heroes have spoken clearly the words I am many times unable to formulate, and I know them when I hear them.

      There is no problem that exists today that has not existed before. People are still the same. Therefore, the words of my heroes are my words. We are of one mind. Their struggles are my struggles. Their assessment is my assessment. Their solutions are my solutions. We do not need any new solutions, we need to apply the old solutions to the old problems that appear to be new.

      My library of quotes has reached more than 50 pages!  Here are some of my favorite ones pertinent to our current struggle to determine what is happening in America today, and what to do about it.

      I for one will not be looked back upon with disgrace by my progeny because I failed to listen to my heroes, failed to see and failed to act.  I can not turn away from what I see with my own two eyes nor fail to act in opposition to tyranny and in defense of freedom.

      My legacy to my children and to my grandchildren will be one of priide and achievement for loving my freedom more than my life, just as my heroes did.  Some of them stuck their neck out and shed their blood and laid down their lives for me.

      My parents came to America to be free and to be happy by creating freedom and happiness.  I owe no less to my children whom I have always hoped would learn by my example.  For them, I would pay any price to ensure their happiness and freedom when I am gone so that I may rest easy knowing that they are not suffering for my selfishnes or lack of diligence.

      Michael James Athony

      =====================

      Excerps from list of quotes:

      "When the representative body have lost the confidence of their constituents, when they have notoriously made sale of their most valuable rights, when they have assumed to themselves powers which the people never put into their hands, then indeed their continuing in office becomes dangerous." --Thomas Jefferson

      "Whenever legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience."  -- John Locke, 1690

      "The people are the ultimate guardians of their own liberties. In every government on earth is some trace of human weakness, some germ of corruption and degeneracy . . . Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone." --Thomas Jefferson

      "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism, since it is the merger of state and corporate power." --Benito Mussolini (cited by Lewis Lapham in Harper's, January 2002)

      "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation.  We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." --Adolf Hitler, proposing the creation of the Gestapo in nazi Germany

      "America cannot have an empire abroad and a Republic at home."
                                                                                              --Mark Twain

      "The most effective means of preventing tyranny is to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, and more especially to give them knowledge of those facts." --Thomas Jefferson

      "The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair." --H.L. Mencken

      "To consider judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions is a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy." -- Thomas Jefferson