755* * * Hacking at the Branches * * *

    Oct 25, 2003
      Los Angeles, California                                            October 25, 2003

      Hacking at the Branches
      (By Ron Branson, J.A.I.L. Author/Founder VictoryUSA@...)

      striking at the root." - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) This quote has been in the signature of J.A.I.L. for years.

      Below, I am going to come very close to home and potentially step on the toes of some of those who know me, so I graciously ask that no one become personally offended. I just have to make my point with real life instances, and not make-believe.

      In our neighborhood there was a tree that grew very tall. In its growing process, it did nearly a thousand dollars worth of damage to a sewer fifty to sixty feet from its base. This sewer, then made more accessible through openings placed in at the time of the repairs, had to be constantly cleaned of tree roots. The tree grew over the neighbor's house, and substantial limbs had to be hacked off and hauled away. This tree continued to grow, and more limbs had to be hacked off and hauled away.

      This tree's growth then interfered with the gas meter, necessitating moving the meter, followed by lifting the sidewalk eighteen inches. More limbs were hacked off as it continued to grow uncontrollably. It's massive boughs then grew into the rafters, necessitating cutting a gouge out of the roof line. Then finally, it began to lift the foundation of the building.

      Despite all the years of hacking at the limbs, this tree continued to grow wider and higher than ever, and choked out a tree that used to tower twenty-five feet over it. The decision was finally made that there was no choice but to go for the roots. This was done, and thus was the end of all the problems created by this tree.

      How many times have we heard the cry, "Someone's Got To Do Something!"  Now there are two inconclusive nouns in this statement: "Someone" and "Something."  Just who is this "Someone?" It implies an entity other than the one speaking, i.e., some other person. Thus, someone other than myself has got to do something.

      Then there is that word, "Something." It indicates nothing in particular, but take a stab at something, to wit, "take a shot in the dark." It is sort of like one flailing at sea, and grabbing at a straw floating by.

      How oft I see people flailing without direction looking for "Something" they know not. I once attended a court proceeding as an observer in which one of my acquaintances was skinned and filleted by the federal judge mercilessly. Outside the federal court, I asked when are you  people going to wake up and quit trying these arguments that get you nowhere but in trouble? To that came a response that they must continue to try everything until they have found something that works. Now there's that word, "Something." I responded, "Yes, try everything but J.A.I.L.!"  I point out here that the definition of insanity is to keep trying the same things repeatedly expecting a different result.

      Today, frustrated people from Los Angeles, and 134 other cities throughout this nation, are gathering this very day, October 25th, in the mall in Washington, D.C. in hopes of doing "Something" at catching the ears of Congress. These multitudes of people have all paid out money to board buses days ago for this event, but will they prevail today? Now we could debate the issue of whether they will be successful in catching the ears of Congress, but I raise the more basic question, "What if they do catch their ears, so what?"  Their noble cause, "Stopping The War In Iraq." Even if we were to stop, or "undo" the war, would that be the solution to America's problems? No way! There is here spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to stop the war -- but behold, a greater cause than stopping the war is here!

      Today, in the northern part of this country, people paid at the door to hear all about the money government has hidden from the people in secret bank accounts. But even if these people were successful in getting the government to "fess up" and come forward with all this money hidden in secret accounts, would that solve our greater problem? No way! These people have spent money on a seminar to dig out information on secret bank accounts -- but behold, a greater cause than secret bank accounts is here!

      This very day, at a place not far from here, people lined up at the door to pay $100 each to try "Something" to keep all their legal issues out of court. This "Something" has proven time and time again not to work, but has repeatedly gotten innocent people in trouble, such as the one I spoke of earlier who got skinned and filleted by the Federal judge. But do they learn? No way! But they just have to keep trying through the U.C.C. -- but behold, there is a cause greater than the U.C.C. here! (U.C.C. = Uniform Commercial Code).

      One week from today there will be a gathering of conservatives on an estate where innumerable fundraiser causes have taken place, to hear famous conservatives speak. It will provide a great social gathering where conservatives can "Meet, Greet, Eat, and Retreat." Many of my friends and acquaintances will be there. This is not free, of course, and I don't begrudge them from enjoying this opportunity. I wouldn't mind going myself even if it were just for the social benefits, but the greater questions remains, will these speeches, and these "meet, greet, eat, and retreat" festivals restore freedom to our country? No way! We spend money on "meet, greet, eat, and retreat" festivals -- but behold, a greater cause than all these conservative "meet, greet, eat, and retreat" festivals in this country is here!

      We all remember the famous jingle sang by Little Orphan Annie, "Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, You're only a day away." One of our JAILers who is a dear precious friend of mine, has asked, "Ron, can't we do something else while we are waiting for J.A.I.L.?" This is just the problem: "Waiting for J.A.I.L." Human nature, as I have said above, is to hack away at the branches of the tree of evil, rather than striking at the roots. All the while the people are kept occupied with hacking at the branches, the tree of corruption continues to grow stronger, greater and taller than ever. In fact, the harder we work, the behinder we get. May I ask, are you satisfied with the direction this country is going, despite all the hacking taking place?

      One long-standing life member of a nationwide organization that has been in operation for near forty-five years, which concentrates upon writing your Congressmen and Senators, said she is finding their members getting discouraged with their lack of progress. They are finding that things are no better today than they were forty-five years ago.

      Folks, we deceive ourselves if we think that hacking at the branches (i.e., keeping busy doing "Something") is going to solve America's problems. You see, most everyone in America is frustrated and confused, and is on the defensive, and they wind up confusing their action with progress. Action is not progress! You can jump on a stationary bike and peddle away, but you will go nowhere. On our home webpage, www.jail4judges.org, we say, "Today is the Day of J.A.I.L.!" It is not "Tomorrow!"

      We've all heard the famous quote, "If not Me, who? If not Now, when?"  Dear friends, You are the One! Now is the Time!  It is frustrating to me to see that all we need in order to pass J.A.I.L. is already within our grasp. "We have met the enemy, and the enemy is us!" (Famous quote, author unknown) Goethe said, there's nothing so fearful as ignorance in action. We ourselves are the only thing that prevents us from a clear and decisive Victory Now! We can get J.A.I.L. on the ballot NOW if we will but grasp it. No waiting! Now is the time, and YOU are the person!

      God has already informed this nation of its greatest danger, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee." Hosea 4:6. People pray for God's intervention, yet they know not when He has answered their prayers. They have to "Keep trying everything."  Something, Anything, Everything! etc, etc. ad nauseam.

      There are a thousand good things you can do for your country, dear ones, but there is but one Best! Thus, beware of "Good Things," for "Good Things" has always been the greatest enemy of "The Best!" Therefore, "Good Things" can destroy your country and your entire future.

      "The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished
      liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch
      forth a saving hand while yet there was time."
                                                                  - George Sutherland (1938)
      "If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
                                                                     -- Winston Churchill

      Donate offerings to J.A.I.L., P.O. Box 207, N. Hollywood, CA 91603
      "Give me your wealth, and I will give you America"  - Ron Branson