750Who Said Judicial Commissions Are Worthless?

    Oct 9 8:06 PM
      Los Angeles, California                                               October 9, 2003

      Who Said Judicial Commissions Are Worthless?
      More and more people are saying that the Investigative Judicial Commissions in the fifty states are worthless, and are covering up for corrupt judges, rather that investigating, exposing and reprimanding them. Well, surprise! This J.A.I.L. News Journal is written to come to their defense.
      Okay, I know you smell a rat, and think something is wrong, so I may as well come clean. I just can't resist the opportunity to mock them even when they try to make themselves look worthy of their existence.
      "Thou Shalt Not
      Make Love To Prosecutors!"
      We've all heard accusations that the judges were in bed with the prosecutors. Well, Virgil Langley, one of our readers, has sent the following introductory comment and article to us:
      It takes the strangest things to remove a judge from the bench in Arizona. For the first time ever, a Superior Court Judge may be removed from the bench. The issue -- Thou shalt not make love to the prosecutors!
      Due to the fact that I am unable to resist, I am going to emphasize certain points in the below by using bold italics, and make comments within brackets. -Ron
      State panel urges judge be removed
      Affair, assault on wife, taint Superior Court, report says.

      Carol Sowers
      The Arizona Republic
      Aug. 15, 2003

      For the first time in its 31-year history, a state judicial ethics commission recommended Thursday that a Superior Court judge be kicked off the bench for shaming the profession, including assaulting his wife and having a love affair with a prosecutor.

      A seven-member panel of the Commission on Judicial Conduct said in its report that Judge Michael C. Nelson of Apache County should be removed "for bringing his judicial office into disrepute and for violations of the code of judicial conduct."
      [What is so shocking here is how Arizona has maintained such saintly judges over the past 31 years since the creation of the original Commission on Judicial Conduct. This is absolutely amazing! With such a good judicial record, one might even wonder why in the world they bothered creating this commission 31 years ago.
      But finally, after the taxpayers have paid out millions of "moola" over the past 31 years of this commission's existence, it finally pays off for them with a dividend of "one" Superior Court Judge.  (This, of course, assumes they actually go through with this judge's removal.)
      Perhaps this commission will rate two Superior Court Judges before Haley's Comet returns on its 64 year cycle. Has it dawned upon anyone in Arizona that it would be a lot cheaper, and just as effective if they just let the judges fall over dead off the bench by attrition?]

      Thomas Zlaket, recent chief justice of Arizona and Nelson's attorney, could not be reached for comment. However, during the commission's two-day hearing last month, Zlaket said Nelson had made errors in judgment but is one of the state's best jurists.
      [What's this?  "Nelson ... is one of the state's best jurists?" Arizona should not be removing their best jurists. Perhaps they better reconsider this action.]
      Ron Wood an Apache County lawyer who testified at the July hearing, agreed that Nelson was an excellent judge and said he would appear before him again.

      Thou Shalt Not Threaten Thy  Fellow Supreme Court Justice
      Los Angeles Times
      September 29, 2003
      Judge Is Under Review in Alleged Threats
      From Times Wire Reports

      A judicial review board has launched an inquiry into allegations against a state Supreme Court justice, including claims that he threatened to "whip" the chief justice and intentionally delayed cases as payback before his term on the court ends.
      The complaint, dated Sept. 17, charges that since his election defeat, Justice Chuck McRae has threatened violence against Chief Justice Edwin Pittman, saying he would "whip" him, and on more than one occasion "cursed at staff and colleagues and has screamed at fellow justices."
      McRae came in last in a three-way race last fall. His term ends in January.
      So, next time you hear anyone demeaning any one of the fifty state's  Judicial Commissions, you might cite them to this evidence that they are not worthless.
      Seriously, now, the passage of J.A.I.L. will entirely embarrass all the 50 state's Judicial Commissions, forcing them to get busy attempting to  show themselves worthy of their existence. And I should also state here that J.A.I.L. does not seek to replace any of the Judicial Commissions. Their purposes are distinct. For instance, let's say a judge is sitting up on the bench smoking and making snide sexual remarks to his clerk, and there are no laws on the books that says, "Thou shalt not smoke and/or make snide sexual remarks from the bench," then the State's Judicial Commissions would be the appropriate forum to direct such a complaint. J.A.I.L. only deals with willful and deliberate violations of the law, the Constitution, and due process, etc.

      Donate offerings to J.A.I.L., P.O. Box 207, N. Hollywood, CA 91603
      "Give me your wealth, and I will give you America"  - Ron Branson