637Candidate Played For A Yo-Yo

    Aug 31, 2002
      Los Angeles, California                                               August 31, 2002
      HotSeat4Judges/M-Th/5pmPT   TheJAILerMakers   What?MeWarden?
      T-ShirtMe!                FedJAIL4FedJudges                   E-mail&hosting

      State's Attorney Candidate
      Played For A Yo-Yo
      Scott Huminski, a long-time Vermont JAILer running for State's Attorney, hit the news again with the court's on-again, off-again ban of his right to walk into a court building in Vermont.
      What launched this vendetta against Scott? He dared to place painted signs on his vehicle exposing the judges. For this forbidden act, he is ordered to stay away from the courts! Well, maybe!  No - stay away! Well, okay!
      Are we not coming to the day when citizens should vote for the "least qualified" candidates. Our hats are off to you, Scott Huminski, for your  testimony for principle and truth. Perhaps all this media news will gain you face recognition. I would like to venture a prediction. Soon we shall see those candidates running for any political office who dares to speak out on the corrupt judiciary, will be the ones that will receive the publicity for their candidacy, and who will win their offices. Anyone care to counter my prediction?
      -Ron Branson

      Article Last Updated:
      Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 12:29:28 AM MST

      Back in the courts
      By JOHN LeMAY ~ Staff Writer ~ Bennington Banner

      BENNINGTON -- Scott Huminski, a Main Street resident who was banned in 1999 from entering Vermont courthouses, won a victory last week when a federal judge ruled that Huminski may enter the courts while he continues to fight the ban in a federal appeals court.

      Huminski, who is gathering signatures to qualify as a candidate for Bennington County state's attorney, said recently that the ban against his presence in courtrooms could damage his credibility as a candidate.

      It was the second time U.S. District Court Judge J. Garvan Murtha has lifted the ban since it was imposed.

      In May 1999, Vermont District Court Judge Nancy Corsones, as presiding judge in Rutland, issued a no trespass order against Huminski, after he parked a van posted with signs criticizing Corsones as a "butcher of the constitution" in the Rutland district court parking lot.

      A second judge, Patricia Zimmerman, reiterated the no trespass order a few days later.

      In February 2001, Murtha issued a temporary injunction nullifying the order, then reinstated the ban in July 2002, and reversed himself again last week.

      In last week's decision, Murtha declared that Huminski's appeal has "a substantial possibility of success" and that Huminski would be "irreparably harmed" by being barred from courts while the constitutionality of the ban remains in question.

      Last week's decision "means that while the case is being fought in the appellate court, Scott can exercise his right to engage in peaceful protest," Huminski's attorney, Robert Corn-Revere, said Friday.

      The underlying issue to be heard in the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York state is whether the trespass order barring Huminski from Vermont courts is a violation of his First Amendment rights.

      "I feel that the government shouldn't be able to arbitrarily exclude people from government institutions because they don't like what they have to say," said Corn-Revere, of the Washington D.C. firm Hogan and Hartson.

      Corn-Revere specializes in First Amendment cases, and is representing Huminski free of charge.

      Huminski's van, bearing political messages, is a frequent sight around Bennington. Huminski has recently been gathering petitions for a run against incumbent State's Attorney William Wright.

      Corsones could not be reached for comment Friday evening.

      E-mail John LeMay at jlemay@... .

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.net
      "Nothing is easier to defend than truth, yet nothing is more difficult to propagate!"        - Bastiatlaw@...