242Gov't. Sponsored Initiatives A No No!

    Oct 23, 2000
      October 23, 2000
      Make your plans now to attend So. CA. JAIL's Nov. 11th (Veteran's Day) fundraiser. RSVP $20 (or $25 at the door) to Doug Johnson, (818) 895-1239, 8340 Columbus Ave., North Hills, CA. 91343. Event held 11 am., American Legion Hall, 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA. Includes food and a J.A.I.L. T-shirt.

      Government Sponsored Initiatives A No No

      Dear Jackie:

          I see government's involvement in initiatives a total conflict of interest, for initiatives are designed to go directly against the government institutions itself. The initiative's main purpose is to circumvent the government when government ignores the will of the People. It is the People's right to alter, amend, or abolish their form of government as they deem necessary for their future security. It is the Declaration of Independence in action. It is a pressure release valve afforded People when they deem their government just is not working.

          Unfortunately, governments are taking free advantage of the initiative process. For instance, here in California, nearly half of all initiatives on the ballot in any given election is placed upon the ballot by the state legislature itself. Legislators have available to them the legislative process. Legislators use the initiative process in order to circumvent the laws and Constitutionally established legislative process of committees, debates, revisions, member votes, the Senate's check and balance, and the Governor's check and balance of veto power. It can hardly be said that our representatives have no access to representation or "their" representatives.

          Further, it is an abuse of the People's tax dollars to be spent on opposing what the People propose, just as tax dollars should not be used for advertising purposes to tell us what to think about our government services. Would an employee be wisely using his bosses' money if he spent it on convincing his boss he was a great employee?

          I would propose an initiative to both bar the legislature from use of the initiative process and to invalidate all past legislative sponsored initiatives. Let the legislature pass laws through the checks and balance processes they are supposed to follow.

      -Ron Branson-
      JAIL4Judges

      PS - Once JAIL is passed, I believe we shall have enough clout to consider bring about cessation of legislative initiatives if we do not get a finding through the courts that it is unconstitutional.

      South Sound Monday, October 23, 2000

      I-722 gets thumbs down in Tumwater

      JOHN GRABER, THE OLYMPIAN

      TUMWATER -- The Tumwater City Council has voted to
      officially oppose state Initiative 722, which is on the fall
      general-election ballot.

      Among other things, I-722, sponsored by Tim Eyman, would exempt vehicles from property taxes, limit property tax increases to 2
      percent annually, and nullify any tax increase adopted from July 2, 1999, through Dec. 31, 1999.

      The Tumwater council also has scheduled a Nov. 8 meeting to reinstate the fees that would be dropped by I-722 if it passes, said Councilman Pete Kmet, who authored the resolution passed last week.

      There is some question whether tax and fee money raised during the time targeted by I-722 would have to be returned if the initiative passes, Kmet said. If it does have to be refunded, the city would have to give back about $250,000 charged to developers in the form of transportation impact fees, Kmet said.

      "In terms of traffic, that's about 10 percent of (Tumwater's) road improvement budget," Kmet said. "It all adds up," Kmet said. "That's money that could be used paving neighborhood streets, putting in sidewalks, buying park lands."

      Initiative 722 also could require the city to refund smaller fee increases like a $1 dog licensing fee that was passed last fall. Finding all the residents who paid the fee and refunding their dollar would cost more
      than the total amount of the refund, Kmet said.

      But the council's vote wasn't unanimous. Voting for the resolution to oppose I-722 were council members Kmet, Bruce Zeller, Wayne Williams and Chris Parsons. Cindy Beauchene voted against the resolution, saying she didn't feel it was appropriate for the council to take a stance on a state-wide initiative.

      Council members Ed Stanley and Karen Valenzuela were not at the meeting. John Graber covers Tumwater for The Olympian. He can be
      reached at 754-5445.

      What's next

       If state Initiative 722 passes Nov. 7, the Tumwater City Council will vote Nov. 8 on reinstating fees and taxes I-722 would repeal.
      The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. at City Hall, 555 Israel Road. For
      more information, call 754-5855.

                         The Olympian Copyright 2000

      Sent to JAIL by Washington Grassroots Electronic Network (WGEN) Email Division idzrus@...      (Jackie Juntti, moderator)

      JAIL's very informative website is found at www.jail4judges.org