1166*** "Worrisome" Says California Chief Justice Ronald M. George ***

    Apr 15, 2006
      Los Angeles, California                                              April 15, 2006
      The Inherent Right of ALL People to Alter or Reform Abusive Government.
      The Right Upon Which All Other Rights Depend
                    Mission Statement               JNJ Library
      Federal J.A.I.L.                           FAQs                    What?MeWarden?

      "Worrisome" Says California Chief Justice Ronald M. George

      "What's disturbing about this current effort is that the attacks seem to be escalating and gathering momentum.
      That's worrisome."

      California Lawyer Magazine - April 2006 issue
      (Page 13 - ESQ. Edited by Martin Lasden)

      Judging the Judges
      By Susan Davis

      A grassroots movement seeks revenge against offending jurists.

      IF GARY ZERMAN HAS HIS WAY, judges across the country will soon find themselves a lot more exposed to angry litigants. A Valencia-based sole practitioner, Zerman first got riled up about judges in the 1990s when he was representing two plaintiffs in a legal malpractice suit. When he got to court, he says, the judge made him sit down, cutting short his opening statement, and then told the jurors to find for the defense. Zerman pursued the case all the way up to the California Supreme Court, but without success. He then tried to sue the offending judges in federal court - only to learn that they are immune from such suits. "It's like the judges are the new kings," he marvels.

      Soon afterward, Zerman hooked up with Ron Branson, a military prison guard turned pastor turned cult investigator, who also had a negative experience with the courts. Together they formed Jail4Judges - a nonprofit that has mounted a national campaign that looks pretty quirky but is starting to be taken seriously.

      Most conspicuously, Zerman's group has been pushing hard for a constitutional amendment that would establish 13-member grand juries to investigate, indict, and sentence judges who abuse their power. And though the group failed three times to secure the required number of signatures to put a Judicial Accountability Initiative Law (JAIL) on the ballot here in California, this fall voters in South Dakota will get the chance to vote on one. Jail4Judges plans to launch a similar effort in Nevada as well.

      Of course, the judicial immunity that Zerman is so steamed up about has never been absolute. It protects judges only against civil lawsuits, claims of civil rights abuses, and liability for judgment calls made within the confines of their official jurisdictions. But it doesn't protect them from charges related to judicial acts taken outside their jurisdictions or others arising from non-judicial acts on the job, such as sexual harassment. Then, too, all 50 states plus the District of Columbia have boards or commissions that hear and investigate complaints against judges. In 2004 this state's Commission on Judicial Performance received 1,114 new complaints about active and former California judges (see MCLE, page 45). Eight percent of those led to staff inquiries and four percent to investigations.

      But that isn't enough to satisfy Jail4Judges. On its website, the group blames judicial immunity for a wide range of ills, including "ignored laws, ignored evidence, sophistry, eminent domain abuse, confiscation of property without due process, probate fraud, secret dockets, graft, falsifications of court records and other abuses."

      If nothing else, Jail4Judges has flair. Cofounder Branson, for one, refers to himself as the organization's "Five-Star National JAIL Commander-In-Chief." And in Nevada, Jail4Judges member Steven Dempsey rails not only against abusive judges but also against the fluoridation of tap water.

      Still, even at the highest levels, esteemed members of the judiciary aren't taking these people lightly. "The question of judicial immunity has come up over and over again in the last 150 years," says the chief justice of the California Supreme Court, Ronald M. George. "I remember as a child the move to impeach Earl Warren. What's disturbing about this current effort is that the attacks seem to be escalating and gathering momentum. That's worrisome."  --Susan Davis

      (Response by Attorney Gary Zerman, gzerman@...)