Annual query about Carr cemetery

  • robert_s_63134
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2008
      About once a year, I post this question. Now is the time for me to try
      again.

      Does anybody out there know anything about the Carr cemetery? It
      appears to be located in that part of the county where my Carr family
      used to live. That is, in Big Coon/Little Coon area, if I'm not
      mistaken. To the best of my knowledge, the cemetery is on private
      property and there appears to be no way to visit. I don't believe
      there is any sort of inventory of the cemetery. However, I'm asking
      again because, who knows, maybe somebody was able to visit the property.

      Thanks for any help in advance!

      Robert Schneider

      Carr, Dent, Keith, Taylor, Edwards, Spence, Singleton, Chappell, Hall,
      Keel, Williams
    • CD Woods
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2008
        Robert,

        This cemetery appears to be either in the Eureka area, or past Helton's Chapel Baptist Church. It isn't clear from the maps which way a person would enter it. I cannot remember seeing this cemetery. I do know there is an old cemetery behind the church but according to the map, the Carr cemetery would be on the opposite side of the road.

        My family still lives in the Rash and Little Coon areas. I will be happy to inquire about this cemetery with some of the older people in the area and let you know what I can find out. I can probably have someone ride into the vicinity and see if they can find it. The drawback right now is that this is located at the foot of the mountain and if it is overgrown, it would be very dangerous to try to enter it this time of year. However, I will be happy to see what I can find out for you.

        Carol McCrary Woods

        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2008
          Looking at the Family Maps of Jackson County map of that area it looks like the cemetery is almost equal distance between Rash and Eureka.

          From the Google maps it is 1500 to 2000 feet west of county road 147 and twice that north of county road 453. From the satellite photo is in an area of dense woods with no road leading into the cemetery you can see nothing of the cemetery from the satellite photo.

          It is located in Township 2 Range 7 Section 10 on the extreme northern part of the land patented by Thomas Longacre in 1860.