Death of Ray Gold descendent of Michael Gold

  • Eulonda Owens
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 9:54 AM
      Dear Katherine;

      So sorry to have to deliver this news. You might have already gotten it, but, just in case, I have included the obituary for you to read.

      Our dear Ray passed away on Monday afternoon. He went really fast. He had spent a few days in the hospital earlier this year, and I think I told you about that. He went home and just went downhill from that point. He had prostate cancer and they had to have hospice come in. They were there 24/7 and kept him sedated and comfortable with a morphine IV. His children were with him and took turns spending the night there. He slipped away peacefully and his funeral was today. His obituary follows:

      JAMES RAY GOLD, HURLEY
      James Ray Gold, 88, descendant of pioneer settlers of Stone County, MO, passed from this life at the home place near Hurley, where he was born 88 years, 8 months, and 2 days ago. He was born August 27, 1919 to Clarence and Virgie Mae (Houser) Gold.
      He resided in Stone County his entire life and attended Henry and Hurley High Schools.
      He was a former employee of Missouri Farmers Association where he was a bookkeeper and delivered gas and fuel oil from the tank truck.
      Mr. Gold was married to Ruby Robinson in 1938. He was of the Primitive Baptist faith all his life.
      He was preceded in death by his wife, Ruby; his parents; and two brothers.
      Survivors include two sons and their wives, Freddie Ray and Pat Gold, Springfield, Edwin Dale and Mary Ann Gold, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, and a daughter, Dixie Lea Haddock, Hurley; 5 grandchildren; 12 great grandchildren; a brother, Billy Joe Gold and wife, Sandy, Hurley; a sister, Louella Dulin, Brookline; several nieces and nephews; other relatives and friends.
      Funeral services will be held at 2:00 p.m. Thursday, May 1, 2008 at Meadors Funeral Home, Clever, with Elder Bill Wood officiating. Burial will follow in Wise Hill Cemetery, Clever.
      Visitation will be 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, in the funeral home.
      In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to St. John’s Hospice

      I pray that you and yours are doing well. Please keep in touch. We are getting ready for our annual reunion in August in Crane. It will be a sad one this year without Ray, but he would not want us to mourn over him but continue to do our research and not let the wonderful legacy he left us die on the vine. Take care.