Re: [jacksongenealogy] Marriages

  • zrcb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2001
      Jewel
      Jackson County courthouse in Scottsboro would have those copies that you
      are looking for. Good luck
      Jackson County Probate Judge Office
      Jackson County Courthouse
      P.O. Box 128
      Scottsboro,Al 35768 Phone 1-256-574-9290
      I think the cost is $1.00 Per and you have to send a self addressed return
      envelope.
      You will need to supply information such as date, place ocurred and I think
      your relation.
    • deeno
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
        Ann,

        What about a marriage in 1848/9? Is that available?

        Thanks,
        Rayedene
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
          The earliest extant marriage license located in the Jackson County, AL
          Probate Office is dated 1851. Many of the 1851 licenses appear to
          have been re-recorded, as the 1851 license dates skip around throughout
          the year. For example, Page 1 contains a marriage performed 2 Oct 1851
          and 16 Oct 1851. Page 2 contains a marriage performed 16 Oct 1851
          and 2 Nov 1851. Page 3 contains a marriage performed 24 Oct 1851 and
          26 Sep 1851. Page 9 contains a marriage performed 20 Mar 1851 and 4
          Aug 1851. Page 13 contains a marriage performed 10 Jan 1851 and 17 Aug
          1851. A later page shows one marriage performed in 1851 and the
          other performed in 1852. This is the reason I think the first 50 to 60
          marriages listed in our earliest extant marriage record book dated
          1851-1856 contains many marriages which were re-recorded after THE WAR.
          Marriage licenses prior to 1851 were destroyed during the Civil War.
          The same holds true for Wills and estate settlements. Will Book K is
          our earliest extant Will Book.
          There are gaps of several years in our extant deed books. A great
          mystery exists in the deed books, as the earliest extant deed book is
          labeled Deed Book D which covers deeds dated 1830. Deed Book A covers
          a much later period, and there is no Book labeled as Deed Book B.

          Ann B. Chambless
          abc123@...
        • altafae@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2002
            What if a will was probated for the wife in say 1884 after her death, would
            the husbands will be present as it relates to the farm land if he died before
            the civil war?

            Jimmie Ryan
            Earliest known: Elijah Brazier, Maynard Cove, Alabama.

          • Cynthia Pugliese
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 19, 2006
              Is this info on-line, or do you have a book? I have a few names I'd like to find out about too.

              Cindy Pugliese
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2006
                What I have found is on line through rootweb.
                Regina

                _____

                From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com