Marriages

  • J Casey
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2001
      Has anyone done the marriages of Jackson County, AL  later than the one by Addie K. Stovall Shaver and Sybil Bishop Hinman which included 1871-1876-1881?  I need several marriages after 1881 and would be delighted to find that someone had published marriages 1882 through 1900 or so.  If  so, where would I be able to purchase a copy?

      Thanks

      Jewel
    • zrcb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2001
        Jewel
        Jackson County courthouse in Scottsboro would have those copies that you
        are looking for. Good luck
        Jackson County Probate Judge Office
        Jackson County Courthouse
        P.O. Box 128
        Scottsboro,Al 35768 Phone 1-256-574-9290
        I think the cost is $1.00 Per and you have to send a self addressed return
        envelope.
        You will need to supply information such as date, place ocurred and I think
        your relation.
      • deeno
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22 5:58 PM
          Ann,

          What about a marriage in 1848/9? Is that available?

          Thanks,
          Rayedene
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22 6:37 PM
            The earliest extant marriage license located in the Jackson County, AL
            Probate Office is dated 1851. Many of the 1851 licenses appear to
            have been re-recorded, as the 1851 license dates skip around throughout
            the year. For example, Page 1 contains a marriage performed 2 Oct 1851
            and 16 Oct 1851. Page 2 contains a marriage performed 16 Oct 1851
            and 2 Nov 1851. Page 3 contains a marriage performed 24 Oct 1851 and
            26 Sep 1851. Page 9 contains a marriage performed 20 Mar 1851 and 4
            Aug 1851. Page 13 contains a marriage performed 10 Jan 1851 and 17 Aug
            1851. A later page shows one marriage performed in 1851 and the
            other performed in 1852. This is the reason I think the first 50 to 60
            marriages listed in our earliest extant marriage record book dated
            1851-1856 contains many marriages which were re-recorded after THE WAR.
            Marriage licenses prior to 1851 were destroyed during the Civil War.
            The same holds true for Wills and estate settlements. Will Book K is
            our earliest extant Will Book.
            There are gaps of several years in our extant deed books. A great
            mystery exists in the deed books, as the earliest extant deed book is
            labeled Deed Book D which covers deeds dated 1830. Deed Book A covers
            a much later period, and there is no Book labeled as Deed Book B.

            Ann B. Chambless
            abc123@...
          • altafae@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22 7:27 PM
              What if a will was probated for the wife in say 1884 after her death, would
              the husbands will be present as it relates to the farm land if he died before
              the civil war?

              Jimmie Ryan
              Earliest known: Elijah Brazier, Maynard Cove, Alabama.

            • Cynthia Pugliese
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2006
                Is this info on-line, or do you have a book? I have a few names I'd like to find out about too.

                Cindy Pugliese
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 19, 2006
                  What I have found is on line through rootweb.
                  Regina

                  _____

                  From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com