Re: [jacksongenealogy] Sauta Cave articles

  • Mark Klan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2008
      Annette Bradford wrote:
      > A while back, there was a discussion of Santa Cave in Jackson County. I
      > remembered then that my husband, David, had written a couple of
      > articles about the cave for The Sentinel back in 1976, but it took we a
      > while to run across them. {snip}

      I haven't posted for quite a while, but I thought I would thank
      Annette for finding, scanning, and uploading this article to the
      website. It's very interesting.

      It brought back the memory of being in the Boy Scouts in the middle
      1960s in Huntsville. We had a special camping trip one weekend to a
      cave near Hollywood, Ala. I'm not sure of the cave's name. It had a
      fairly small entrance protected my a metal grate. The farmer who
      owned the cave unlocked it to let us in, whereupon we hiked for maybe
      a half a mile through narrow passageways to a relatively open grotto.
      The stream running through the cave was drinkable at the time without
      treatment, which was a hoot.

      When you go to sleep at night deep inside a cave, wake up a few hours
      later, and are still unable to see even a hint of your fingers two
      inches from your face, you learn what dark really means... :-)

      Anyway, I'm still (slowly) researching families by the name of
      PRECISE, FRAZIER, WILLBANKS/WILBANKS, and WOMACK. Great-grandparents
      include Joseph Caperton Precise & Nancy Armanda "Sugar" Frazier,
      Finley C. Womack & Flora Tennessee "Tennie" Willbanks.

      Mark Klan
      mark "at" markabout "dot" com