RE: [jacksongenealogy] Sublett/House line in Jackson County, Ala.

  • Jimmie Ryan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2008
      Is this your Benjamin F House? If it is she would have died between 1885 -
      1890 somewhere between Alabama and Arkansas, it does not look like she had a
      child in Arkansas, but her last seems to be Hattie D in May of 1885. My
      great great great grandmother Elizabeth Stephens Brazier Messer died in 1883
      of the cholera outbreak, so I wonder if your Lydia died in child birth or of
      the outbreak, death records may be hard since it seems the court house has
      had several fires, jump in Clay, I am sure there is some information on
      deaths in that period of time.

      Jimmie Ryan
      Elijah Brahur b 1776 NC (Blount 1830)
      Elijah Brasure/Brazier b 1800 SC (Jackson 1840/1850/1860)

      U.S. Census > 1900 United States Federal Census > Arkansas > Prairie >
      Center > District 96: Ancestry page 9

      House Number/Visited: 85/85

      House, Benjamin F Head W M Sep 1841 AL NC SC Farmer __ Yes Yes Yes
      (Second Wife: Susan Wife W F Feb 1870 AR TN TN M 10 5 Children Born; 4
      Living at this time
      Vashli Daughter W F Jun 1875 AL AL AL (First Wife)
      Benjamin M Son May 1883 W M AL AL AL Farm Labor (First Wife)
      Hattie D Daughter May 1885 W F AL AL AL (First Wife) (Could she have died in
      child birth? Or of the Cholera out break at that time?)
      Beulah E Daughter Apr 1890 W F AR AL AR
      Ruth Daughter W F Sep 1893 AR AL AR
      John Son W M May 1896 AR AL AR
      Lillian Daughter W F Jun 1898 AR AL AR

      U.S. Census > 1880 United States Federal Census > Alabama > Jackson > Beat
      24 > District 129: Ancestry page: 4 Farm: 89/92

      House, Benjamin F W M 27 Head Farmer AL UNK UNK
      House, Lydia J W F 26 Wife AL AL TN (In the illness column she is noted to
      have a "Heart disease"
      House, Corinth [sic] W F 6 Daughter AL AL AL
      House, Bastia [sic] W F 4 Daughter AL AL AL (this could be the Vashli above)
      House, Emily A W F 3 Daughter AL AL AL
      House, Delila A W F 23 Niece AL AL

      U.S. Census > 1870 United States Federal Census > Alabama > Jackson >
      Scottsboro: Ancestry page 29 House: 57/54 (Coffee Township 12)

      Watson, Eber C 27 M W Farmer Laborer 500 180 AL
      Watson, Joseph N 24 M W Farm Labor AL
      Watson, Emily 34 W F Keeping House AL
      Watson, Rachel 32 W F At Home AL
      Watson, Mary 26 W F At Home AL
      House, Benjamin F 18 M W Farm Labor AL

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2008
        There are no death records for Alabama prior to 1908. If she is not listed with a headstone in a cemetery there really is no way to find when she died or where she is buried. Some churches have records of who is buried in their cemeteries but you would have to know what church cemetery she was buried in. I did check the MegaCem File and Guntersville Flooded and did not find her.

        George W. Sublett and family in 1850 were living next to my GGAunt and GGUncle Samuel and Lucinda (Gullatt) Thompson and 1 house away from my GGGrandmother Catherine Gullatt this is just to the south of old Bellefonte.

        In 1852 George W. Sublett patented land on Sand Mountain near what is now Chisenhall Cemetery Sect 21 TS5 R6. Martha J. patented 3 parcels in Sect 25 TS5 R6 in 1884. The Houses lived in this same area of Sand Mountain it looks like.

      • Jimmie Ryan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
          Thank you Clay, as always you seem to come up with many things that just
          amaze me.