Sublett/House line in Jackson County, Ala.

  • pegncal73
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
      I'm trying to find out if my great-great grandmother died in Alabama before she moved to

      Arkansas (sometime between 1881 and 1890) I haven't been able to discover any death info

      on her in Ark. records. Her name was Lydia S. Sublett, daughter of George W. and Martha J.

      Sublett and wife of Benjamin Franklin House (who she married in 1870). She would have been

      28 years old in 1881, the year her daughter Sophronia House was born in Alabama. Any info

      would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • Jimmie Ryan
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2008
        Is this your Benjamin F House? If it is she would have died between 1885 -
        1890 somewhere between Alabama and Arkansas, it does not look like she had a
        child in Arkansas, but her last seems to be Hattie D in May of 1885. My
        great great great grandmother Elizabeth Stephens Brazier Messer died in 1883
        of the cholera outbreak, so I wonder if your Lydia died in child birth or of
        the outbreak, death records may be hard since it seems the court house has
        had several fires, jump in Clay, I am sure there is some information on
        deaths in that period of time.

        Jimmie Ryan
        Elijah Brahur b 1776 NC (Blount 1830)
        Elijah Brasure/Brazier b 1800 SC (Jackson 1840/1850/1860)

        U.S. Census > 1900 United States Federal Census > Arkansas > Prairie >
        Center > District 96: Ancestry page 9

        House Number/Visited: 85/85

        House, Benjamin F Head W M Sep 1841 AL NC SC Farmer __ Yes Yes Yes
        (Second Wife: Susan Wife W F Feb 1870 AR TN TN M 10 5 Children Born; 4
        Living at this time
        Vashli Daughter W F Jun 1875 AL AL AL (First Wife)
        Benjamin M Son May 1883 W M AL AL AL Farm Labor (First Wife)
        Hattie D Daughter May 1885 W F AL AL AL (First Wife) (Could she have died in
        child birth? Or of the Cholera out break at that time?)
        Beulah E Daughter Apr 1890 W F AR AL AR
        Ruth Daughter W F Sep 1893 AR AL AR
        John Son W M May 1896 AR AL AR
        Lillian Daughter W F Jun 1898 AR AL AR

        U.S. Census > 1880 United States Federal Census > Alabama > Jackson > Beat
        24 > District 129: Ancestry page: 4 Farm: 89/92

        House, Benjamin F W M 27 Head Farmer AL UNK UNK
        House, Lydia J W F 26 Wife AL AL TN (In the illness column she is noted to
        have a "Heart disease"
        House, Corinth [sic] W F 6 Daughter AL AL AL
        House, Bastia [sic] W F 4 Daughter AL AL AL (this could be the Vashli above)
        House, Emily A W F 3 Daughter AL AL AL
        House, Delila A W F 23 Niece AL AL

        U.S. Census > 1870 United States Federal Census > Alabama > Jackson >
        Scottsboro: Ancestry page 29 House: 57/54 (Coffee Township 12)

        Watson, Eber C 27 M W Farmer Laborer 500 180 AL
        Watson, Joseph N 24 M W Farm Labor AL
        Watson, Emily 34 W F Keeping House AL
        Watson, Rachel 32 W F At Home AL
        Watson, Mary 26 W F At Home AL
        House, Benjamin F 18 M W Farm Labor AL

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2008
          There are no death records for Alabama prior to 1908. If she is not listed with a headstone in a cemetery there really is no way to find when she died or where she is buried. Some churches have records of who is buried in their cemeteries but you would have to know what church cemetery she was buried in. I did check the MegaCem File and Guntersville Flooded and did not find her.

          George W. Sublett and family in 1850 were living next to my GGAunt and GGUncle Samuel and Lucinda (Gullatt) Thompson and 1 house away from my GGGrandmother Catherine Gullatt this is just to the south of old Bellefonte.

          In 1852 George W. Sublett patented land on Sand Mountain near what is now Chisenhall Cemetery Sect 21 TS5 R6. Martha J. patented 3 parcels in Sect 25 TS5 R6 in 1884. The Houses lived in this same area of Sand Mountain it looks like.

        • Jimmie Ryan
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
            Thank you Clay, as always you seem to come up with many things that just
            amaze me.