Sunday School book for either Hodge church or Chaney's chapel

  • Joe Burt
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2008
      I just found the attendance book for either Hodge or Chaney's Chapel 3rd
      Sunday in Oct & Nov of 1933. My gfather William F, Smith was SS teacher
      or superintendent.
      Some names are Allen, Barclay, Davis, Griffin,,Green, Hughes, Moore,
      Nichols, Rooks, Smith, Stephens, Travis, Taylor, Wilson.
      If anyone is interested I'll be glad to share with them.
      JaNelle Burt
    • Ann B. Chambless
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2008
        JaNelle: Would you allow me to print the names you glean or a short
        summary you might write based on Chaney Chapel book? In case you do
        not know, I have served as editor of the Jackson County Historical
        Association's quarterly publication, THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES, fot
        he past 30 years. I attempt to research, compile, edit, and print as
        much previously uncirculated material as possible from historical documents.
        Ann B. Chambless
        > .

      • Joe Burt
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2008
          I would be glad to send you a copy of it. It's only for 2 months and
          I'm not sure which church it is. My gfather was a Methodist minister but
          preached at different churches iin the area, He died in 1935 so maybe
          the reason it wasn't longer.. Have you read the book on Dutton by Jewell
          D. Tigue Smalley?
          I'm related to Ray's, Hughes, and Smiths. Some of the Hughes gave the
          land for the church in Hodge to be used by all denominations.
          I also have a picture from the 1930's of Chaney's Chapel and the
          congregation.
          JaNelle

          Ann B. Chambless wrote:

          > JaNelle: Would you allow me to print the names you glean or a short
          > summary you might write based on Chaney Chapel book? In case you do
          > not know, I have served as editor of the Jackson County Historical
          > Association's quarterly publication, THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES, fot
          > he past 30 years. I attempt to research, compile, edit, and print as
          > much previously uncirculated material as possible from historical
          > documents.
          > Ann B. Chambless
          > > .

        • Ann B. Chambless
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2008
            THANK YOU so much for mailing me a copy of your W. F. Smith's Sunday
            School Class roll. I have enjoyed looking at the names, and, as time
            permits, I will attempt to determine the area where these people lived
            via the 1930 Jackson County census. Will let you know IF I can reach a
            conclusion sound enough to make a "location statement" when I use your
            material in a future issue of THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES.
            Thanks for sharing!
            Ann B. Chambless
          • Joe Burt
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2008
              Ann
              I think it's probably Hodge. That's the area they lived in and the
              church was used by different denominations. My gfather was a Methodist
              minister, but I don't know if he was ever officially ordained. Do have
              notes for some of his sermons and his study bible. My Mom said he
              preached at Hodge, Dutton and Rosalie amoung other places.
              JaNelle