Census description question

  • Tina
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2008
      Does anyone know, and I'm sure its not a certainty, if a person in a
      household was listed as a domestic servant, but had the same last name
      as the family, would they have been "adopted" so to speak with a
      different name originally, or they just didn't bother differentiating
      the last name from the family?

      I ask because there are two people in my family I cannot trace back,
      but they appear later on, a Mallissia (or Melissa) Rutherford is on the
      1870 census as a servant, but I do not find her in the family in 1860.

      I thought this might be a type of common knowledge situation.

      Thanks, Tina Lathrom

      Researching Jones, Johnson, Havens, Connally, Birdwell
    • Karl Plenge
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2008
        On the domestic servant question, one possibility to keep in mind is that they are a cousin or other relative also.