Free Black family 1860 census

  • rebgapatt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2008
      1860 census Disrict ?3, Paint Rock P.O. HH 16 is a free black family
      as follows:
      Elizabeth Estice 90 black b. VA
      E.A. Estice 49 mulatto b. VA
      Martha 35 mulatto b. AL both women are washerwomen
      John Estice 39 mulatto b. VA farm laborer
      John Smith 25 b. Al farm laborer
      Jordan ? Rowan 35 b. Al multto farm laborer
      William Estice 25 mullato b.Al farm laborer
      Peter Estice 11 black b. Al
      Margaret 8 multto b.AL
      Does anyone know anything about them?Wondering if the surname might
      have been Eustace and taken from that family although the two Eustace
      adults in county do still own slaves?
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2008
        This family was free on the 1840 and 1850 Jackson Co. Census. They are indexed on the 1850 as John and Elizabeth Ester (I read it as Estes) and on the 1840 as John Estes.

        On the 1830 Jackson Co. is indexed Td (Thos.) Eustice but he owned no slaves.

        You will probably have to check VA to see if you can find them. If they were enslaved and then freed you would have to check wills and settlements of estates to see if they are mentioned. Then again they might have always been free.

      • hbsj1
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2008
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "rebgapatt" <rebgapatt@...>
          wrote:

          > 1860 census Disrict ?3, Paint Rock P.O. HH 16 is a free black family
          > as follows:
          > Elizabeth Estice 90 black b. VA
          > E.A. Estice 49 mulatto b. VA
          > Martha 35 mulatto b. AL both women are washerwomen
          > John Estice 39 mulatto b. VA farm laborer
          > John Smith 25 b. Al farm laborer
          > Jordan ? Rowan 35 b. Al multto farm laborer
          > William Estice 25 mullato b.Al farm laborer
          > Peter Estice 11 black b. Al
          > Margaret 8 multto b.AL
          > Does anyone know anything about them?Wondering if the surname might
          > have been Eustace and taken from that family although the two Eustace
          > adults in county do still own slaves?

          I found members of my family listed under free colored (mulatto) on
          1840 and 1850 census in Paint Rock or in Madison County. There is a
          column for Free Colored and I think most slaves were enumerated and
          not listed by names. My family surname is Smithers.