RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Collier Johnson

  • Jim Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
      Hi!

      Haven't heard from you I a while. Have you found parents for Collier
      Johnson?

      Jim Johnson

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
        Here's another enigma.

        The 1830 US Census for Jackson County shows Alexander Johnson living next to
        Thomas Evans with Collier Johnson living 6 houses away. The Patent Map for
        Jackson County T5-S R5-E Section 31 shows Colyer Johnson's land next to
        Thomas Evans. They both received their patents in 1831. Nearby in the
        patent map are William O. Johnson (Patent 1852) and Joshua Johnson (Patent
        1831 - located in T6-S R5-E Section 7). T6-S R5-E Section 6 is immediately
        south of and adjoining T5-S R5-E Section 31. I think Alexander, Collier,
        Joshua, and William are related. In the 1850 U.S. Census for Jackson
        County, my ancestor William O. Johnson and his wife Jane (or Jincey) Evans
        (daughter of Thomas Evans) surrounded by many of the original patent owners
        in T5-S R5-E Section 31 and T6-S R5-E Section 6. Can anyone add anything?
        Maybe someone has access to the property transfers of these original patents
        or land plats?

        Thanks!

      • Jim Johnson
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
          Hi Everyone,

          Can anyone tell me how you would go about finding information on property
          transfers from original patents? Maybe I'm looking for a title search. Any
          idea of the cost? Also, some counties have land plats that show for certain
          dates who owned what. I have possible ancestors who each owned an original
          patent in Township 5-S Range 5-E (Huntsville) in Jackson County (Colyer
          Johnson Section 32 and William O. Johnson in Section 28). Subsequent
          property transfers or sales might give an indication of family connections.

          Thanks!

          Jim Johnson

        • Jim Johnson
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2008
            Oops, sorry, Colyer Johnson was Section 31 not 32.

            Jim