History of the Baptist Church in AL

  • robert_s_63134
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2008
      Hi!

      From the book "History of the Rise and Progress of the the Baptists
      in Alabama, 1780-1841" by Hosea Holcombe, Phila., 1840; reprinted by
      Unigraphic, Inc., 1975.

      from page 291--Mud Creek Association

      "This Association is situated in the extreme northeast end of the
      state; in Jackson county, adjoining Tennessee on the north, and
      Georgia on the east. In 1825, they had 13 churches; one or two of
      them were in the state of Tennessee. Their number of members then,
      was 415. After the lapse of 13 years, they have 12 churches, and
      about 380 members; ministers seven or eight."

      p. 293--"We perceive that Elders J. Hall and J. Williams were at that
      time members of this church; and we would hope, that they are, true
      missionaries; if they are not, they should be."

      Question, could the J. Williams in this passage be the same as the
      John Williams in the 1850 census? As best I know, that John Williams
      shows up in the Rash area. In those days, was Rash so far from Paint
      Rock that John Williams couldn't have pastored that Paint Rock church?

      Just for the record, Parkerism comes in for a blistering in this
      book.

      Robert Schneider
    • Vrgfdonna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2008
        Robert,
        I will look at the book of minutes of the Paint Rock Baptist Church and see
        if the Pastors are listed, if you would like.
        Velma

      • Kyle Davenport
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2008
          I believe the J.Hall referred to is my gggggf James Hall who was a
          baptist minister and one of the original settlers in Jackson County.
          His wife was Mary Ann Williams.

          Kyle

          robert_s_63134 wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > >From the book "History of the Rise and Progress of the the Baptists
          > in Alabama, 1780-1841" by Hosea Holcombe, Phila., 1840; reprinted by
          > Unigraphic, Inc., 1975.
          >
          > from page 291--Mud Creek Association
          >
          > "This Association is situated in the extreme northeast end of the
          > state; in Jackson county, adjoining Tennessee on the north, and
          > Georgia on the east. In 1825, they had 13 churches; one or two of
          > them were in the state of Tennessee. Their number of members then,
          > was 415. After the lapse of 13 years, they have 12 churches, and
          > about 380 members; ministers seven or eight."
          >
          > p. 293--"We perceive that Elders J. Hall and J. Williams were at that
          > time members of this church; and we would hope, that they are, true
          > missionaries; if they are not, they should be."
          >
          > Question, could the J. Williams in this passage be the same as the
          > John Williams in the 1850 census? As best I know, that John Williams
          > shows up in the Rash area. In those days, was Rash so far from Paint
          > Rock that John Williams couldn't have pastored that Paint Rock church?
          >
          > Just for the record, Parkerism comes in for a blistering in this
          > book.
          >
          > Robert Schneider

        • Robert Schneider
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 14, 2008
            I appreciate your offer! Thanks!

            Robert Schneider
          • Robert Schneider
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 14, 2008
              Hi!

              This is interesting. There was a Hall family that
              came up to Jackson County from the Laurens/Wilkinson
              area of GA. They appear to have come up with the
              Bracewells, Keels, and possibly the Dents. Do they
              have any connection with those families?

              Robert Schneider
            • Kyle Davenport
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 14, 2008
                Are you talking to me? My ancester, the Rev James Hall, came from NC to
                TN to Jackson Co. I don't have any of those other families in my tree.

                Kyle

                Robert Schneider wrote:

                > Hi!
                >
                > This is interesting. There was a Hall family that
                > came up to Jackson County from the Laurens/Wilkinson
                > area of GA. They appear to have come up with the
                > Bracewells, Keels, and possibly the Dents. Do they
                > have any connection with those families?
                >
                > Robert Schneider

              • mark thomas
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
                  Do you know anything on John D Hall who married Fanny Mae Phillips around the 1920's and is buried at Liberty Cemetery?

                  Kyle Davenport <kdavenpo@...> wrote: Are you talking to me? My ancester, the Rev James Hall, came from NC to

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
                    Mark

                    Do you have the census images for John D.Hall and his father William H. Hall?

                  • mark thomas
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
                      I don'tknow anything about him, but the one I ask about married my great aunt, Fanny May Phillips, daughter of Van Phillips and Theodocia Peek Phillips. I do have a picture of them. I'll post it in a few minutes.
                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
                        Could be a coincidence, but my great-uncle William Harvey Hall who
                        married Alta Graham had a son John Hall b~1911. The 1920 Princeton,
                        Jackson Co, AL census has him as "John W Hall" tho:

                        http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&gsfn=&gsln=hall&sx=&f8=Alabama&f9=jackson&f10=&f20=&rg_fa5__date=1891&rs_fa5__date=2&f16__n=&rg_f19__date=&rs_f19__date=0&f18=&fa20=&f21=&fa18=&f22=&fa14=&gskw=&prox=1&db=1920usfedcen&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=35&fh=11&recid=966472&recoff=3+16+38+39

                        My uncle went by the name Harvey. I have been unable to find what
                        happened to John Hall.

                        Kyle

                      • Vrgfdonna@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
                          Kyle,
                          What do you know about the family of Alta GRAHAM. Were they in Jackson Co.?
                          Velma Graham Finley
                          *****

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
                            Yes, I believe so. Alta's parents were John Graham and Mary Jane
                            Bostick. Mary J Graham lives with Alta and Harvey in 1920 and 1930
                            Census in Princeton.

                            Kyle

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
                              OK, Kyle, thanks. He must be one of the "other" GRAHAM family in Jackson
                              Co. I thought they all went to Tx. with Jesse GRAHAM in the mid 1800s. Either
                              that or he was one of "ours" and I didn't know about him.
                              Thanks for your reply,
                              Velma

                              *****

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 15, 2008
                                I placed a picture of John D. Hall and Fanny Mae Phillips Hall in the
                                Van Phillips folder.

                                John D. was born 5-14-1896 and died 2-22-1961, Fanny "Pud" was born 8-
                                30-1900 and died 10-7-1971.They are buried at Liberty Cemetery, near
                                Pikeville, Jackson Co., Al.