RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Union Troops from Jackson County - POWs - Slavery - Jackson Co. Union Supporters

  • Jimmie Ryan
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
      Thank you for your correction, Clay I so appreciate it. My reference was to
      the listing provided to the list as a reference for John Irby's involvement
      in the unit; I believed on the second line it stated "Prisoner of War." My
      family lost 2 to the Civil War, William and Ellis Brazier and yes this area
      was alive with activity since it seemed to be the main battle line for the
      Union; and, also the connection to a different scale of trains; which helped
      the south starve off the Union advance. The importance of the rail head at
      both Jackson County, and Atlanta were both the objectives, I believe, of the
      Union in there trust into the south.

      My ggg grandfather, James Belton Lovless watched the burning of Atlanta as
      he left for Indiana. After the war he returned to Blount County to live out
      his life until 1900. Of course the third death for my Brazier family was
      Elijah b 1800 d 1868 on his farm in Maynard Cove. It is said that his wife,
      Betty Stephens Brazier Messer would ware black until her death in 1884, even
      after she married William Messer of Jackson. It is interesting you have
      Mitchell's and Robinson in the reference as they along with S J Jones are
      allied families of Elijah Brazier b 1776 d 1859, all seemed to come from
      Madison as it appears the staging area for those that would settle this
      Indian area. Cuz Jimmie

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 8, 2008
        Jimmie,

        I had often wondered why there had been so many cavalry raids in
        northeast Alabama and south central Tennessee. The book "With Blood
        and Fire: Life behind Union Lines in Middle Tennessee 1863 -1865" by
        Michael R. Bradley explains this very well. The Northern strategy was
        to cut the South in half. Their occupation of middle TN gave them
        control of the railroad that ran from Nashville to Chattanooga via
        Stevenson Alabama. They badly needed this railroad to move supplies
        for the siege of Chattanooga. The route from Nashville to Huntsville
        and then on to Stevenson was much longer and the Mussel Shoals near
        Florence prevented the use of the Tennessee River for supplies since
        steam boats could not cross the Shoals. There were many "Bushwackers"
        as the southern underground was termed throughout the area. The common
        folk were caught in the middle. If they didn't help the bushwackers
        the rebels would attack them, and if they did help, the Union
        occupation forces attacked them. Raiding in this area by the south
        held the invasion forces off of Chattanooga for a while, but eventually
        the superior arms and manufacturing capability of the north broke the
        resistance.

        After the War, many of the former rebels, including one branch of my
        family, moved westward to Arkansas, Texas and beyond.

        John McCollum Green

      • madolyn jysele
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
          My Great Great Grandfather fought for the Union Army. He died at Bridgeport, Al - but he didn't die in battle he died of dysentery from digging ditches. The people of Jackson County did not take likely to a Union sympathizer. My Great Great Grandfather was stabbed at his home, the people burn't his home, then when they moved the stigma stayed with them. Every year they have a re-enactment of the war in Bridgeport, Al and we have a Fort here in Stevenson, Al called Fort Harker.

          I also wanted to tell you that the Archives in Washington, Dc is a place to look for much information. My Great Great Grandmother filed so many papers right up to her death, I can read those papers and virtually live her life for many years. She even filed papers for a corn crop that was taken and she gave so much personal information that gave to me info I would not have normally had.

          There were indeed Union soldiers from this area and they paid dearly from their neighbors......Madolyn

        • jackie morgan
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
            You didn't say his name.
            My family lived in Jackson County during that time as well. I know nothing of what their life was like or really which side they supported.
            I am working on James R. BRYAN and his wife Susan DENMAN BRYAN. They lived in the Bridgeport area as well.

            Jackie Morgan

            Genealogist & Quilter

            I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
            �Daughter, if you don�t remember us, who will?��

[...]

          • Chadwick Raines
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
              Madolyn,
              Do you have any more info on the Union soldiers from Jackson Co? My husband's grandfather was in the Co I 8th Ind Calvary [Union] but we always assumed he was forced to go with them. He was a Mashburn. Any info on the Union soldiers from J C would be appreciated. [how they were treated, etc]
              Barbara
[...]

                their neighbors...There were

                Home.

              • starry3731
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 28, 2008
                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvia King" <kingirby@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Does anyone have any information on Jackson County men serving in
                  the union army during the Civil War? I was researching an uncle,
                  John M. IRBY who served in the 1st Alabama Calvary according to some
                  records I have found.
                  > I have a tintype picture with the notation that he died about 1864
                  in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Any information would be appreciated.
                  > Sylvia Lacy King
                  >
                  > researching, Irby, Wallace in Jackson County.

                  My ggg-grandfather Jennings Pemberton was from the Valley Head area
                  of Dekalb County. He was for the Union on the grounds that he thought
                  that the Union would tend to be better to the poor people rather than
                  oppress them like some of the more affluent southerners. After being
                  pressured by the locals to choose sides, he was attacked stabbed, &
                  was about to be hanged, & (as the story goes) he somehow got away &
                  fled over the mountain to Jackson County where there suppossedly were
                  alot of Unionist & enlisted in the 1st Alabama & Tennessee
                  Independent Videdette Calvary U. S. A. He enlisted January 1, 1862
                  There is information to be oredered through the NARA for civil war
                  Claims & copies of applications of these claims, that you can get in
                  order to receive a ton of genealogy information about how you family
                  struggled through these times.
                • madolyn jysele
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 6, 2008
                    My Great Great Grandfather was also Jennings Pemberton - he died at Bridgeport, al. He and his wife were first cousins. Any pemberton's or Bondurant's / Bundren Surname please contact me.

                    Madolyn York
                    P.O. Box 572
                    Stevenson, Al 35772
                    256-437-3493