RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Union Troops from Jackson County

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
      Wrong again. Just got out of the hospital not working at 100%.

      www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com

    • RON aKINS
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
        Hi Clay,It is interesting that there were Union soldiers from Jackson County.Dade County,GA which is next door was the first county in the South to secede fom the Union.Were there many slave owners in Jackson County?

        clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote: Wrong again. Just got out of the hospital not working at 100%.

        www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com

      • Jimmie Ryan
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
          Interesting also that in the listing provided on the Irby's they had
          "Prisoner of War" in the record, were they forced to fire against there
          Southern Brothers? Were they under treat of death if they did not
          participate in the occupying army of the North. It seems our families of
          this time had many hard questions posed to them, and many hardships to bear.

          Jimmie
          Elijah Brazier b 1800 SC d 1869 Jackson, Alabama

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
            http://www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com/

            RON aKINS <akinsron@...> wrote: Hi Clay,It is interesting that there were Union soldiers from Jackson County.Dade County,GA which is next door was the first county in the South to secede fom the Union.Were there many slave owners in Jackson County?

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
              Jimmie

              Quite the contrary, John M. Irby was taken prisoner by the Confederate Troops. All of the 1st Alabama were supporters of the Union and volunteers. Most volunteered when the Governor sent conscription troops to force them to enlisted on the Southern side.

              Clay

              To answer Ron Atkins question.

              Jackson Co. in 1860 had 14,858 whites and 3411 slaves. There were about 55 people with more than 20 slaves. The most 70 owned by C.C. Clay who was from Madison Co. if I remember correctly. S. J. Jones owned 52. F. A. Province owned 46. Thos. J. Robinson 39. Jackson Co. had nothing like what they had in the "black belt" to the south.

              Northern Alabama, Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina had strong supporters of the Union. A lot of this area will not support large scale cotton growing. These three areas consisted of mostly small farmers most of whom owned no slaves and they saw no reason why they should fight to benefit the large plantation slave owners. I also think that much of the Jackson Co's population was made up of a large number of people who came there to get away from control by the government, were very independent and would have resisted being told what to do. More support for the South came when Union troops invaded and did a great deal of destruction in Jackson Co one report that only fence posts were left in and around Bellefonte.

              Whether anyone likes it or not those were the the facts and realities.

              My GGGrandmother Catherine (Mitchell) Gullatt owned 3 slaves, her son William own 5, all except 1 was of the same family (Burt and Peggy Gullatt) and likely descendants of slaves John and Catherine Gullatt had when they moved from Fairfax Co. VA to Lincoln Co. GA in 1800 then to Jackson Co. in 1816/17 (then the Cherokee Nation).

              On the other side of the coin of my GGGrandmother Martha "Patsy" (Phillips) Harper widow of John Payne Harper it was said by witnesses on her application for a War of 1812 was a strongly for the Union, the whole family was strongly in support of the US government and the leading Union family in county, her son in law Thomas Latham and two of her grandsons went into the Union Army, In all the time of the Rebellion I never heard her utter one sentiment disloyal to the the Union or authorities of the US but strongly adhered to the government of the US. The Harpers were descendants of Quakers most of whom did not believe in slavery. After the War she when to Van Zandt Co. TX to live with her son in law Henry Tipton and his daughter and near sons Andrew J. and Robert T.. She returned to Jackson Co. sometime in the 1870s. In 1880 she is listed as age 84 living with a Yankee family Henry P. and John F. Wicks from NY. She died in 1883/84.

              Her son in law and my GGrandfather James M. Gullatt was taken prisoner by Union troops with two others and the report said they were with arms. Great-Aunt Jane (Gullatt) Kirby said that James M. served in the Civil War. No record of his service except he did receive some type of pension from the government. It may have been for the Mexican Warn. I always though he was probably a spy for the South.

              Great-Great-Uncle William Gullatt is listed as a Union Loyalist even though he owned slaves. On the 1880 census Peggy Gullatt, some of her children and grandchildren are living next to William. The Grandchildren are listed as mulattoes so I have thought that they were probably William's children, he had no others.

              Also listed as a Union Loyalist was Henry H. Coalson who married Juliet Gullatt.

              My Great-Great-Aunt Nancy (Gullatt) Airheart had 5 sons 3 of whom served the South and 2 the Union. That must have made for some interesting family conversations.

              There is nothing simplistic about the Civil War.

              You have to admit that Southern families are complex and interesting.

              I am sure that many others in the Group have similar stories. I remember one where their Union ancestors had to flee in the night and hide in caves until they could escape Jackson Co. Yes, passions and tempers ran high.

              I do not want this to turn into a discussion of why the war was fought or who was right or wrong there are other forums for that. I know there are strong feelings on both sides. Maybe it's that Quaker heritage in me coming out that insists on peace and harmony.

            • Jimmie Ryan
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                Thank you for your correction, Clay I so appreciate it. My reference was to
                the listing provided to the list as a reference for John Irby's involvement
                in the unit; I believed on the second line it stated "Prisoner of War." My
                family lost 2 to the Civil War, William and Ellis Brazier and yes this area
                was alive with activity since it seemed to be the main battle line for the
                Union; and, also the connection to a different scale of trains; which helped
                the south starve off the Union advance. The importance of the rail head at
                both Jackson County, and Atlanta were both the objectives, I believe, of the
                Union in there trust into the south.

                My ggg grandfather, James Belton Lovless watched the burning of Atlanta as
                he left for Indiana. After the war he returned to Blount County to live out
                his life until 1900. Of course the third death for my Brazier family was
                Elijah b 1800 d 1868 on his farm in Maynard Cove. It is said that his wife,
                Betty Stephens Brazier Messer would ware black until her death in 1884, even
                after she married William Messer of Jackson. It is interesting you have
                Mitchell's and Robinson in the reference as they along with S J Jones are
                allied families of Elijah Brazier b 1776 d 1859, all seemed to come from
                Madison as it appears the staging area for those that would settle this
                Indian area. Cuz Jimmie

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 8, 2008
                  Jimmie,

                  I had often wondered why there had been so many cavalry raids in
                  northeast Alabama and south central Tennessee. The book "With Blood
                  and Fire: Life behind Union Lines in Middle Tennessee 1863 -1865" by
                  Michael R. Bradley explains this very well. The Northern strategy was
                  to cut the South in half. Their occupation of middle TN gave them
                  control of the railroad that ran from Nashville to Chattanooga via
                  Stevenson Alabama. They badly needed this railroad to move supplies
                  for the siege of Chattanooga. The route from Nashville to Huntsville
                  and then on to Stevenson was much longer and the Mussel Shoals near
                  Florence prevented the use of the Tennessee River for supplies since
                  steam boats could not cross the Shoals. There were many "Bushwackers"
                  as the southern underground was termed throughout the area. The common
                  folk were caught in the middle. If they didn't help the bushwackers
                  the rebels would attack them, and if they did help, the Union
                  occupation forces attacked them. Raiding in this area by the south
                  held the invasion forces off of Chattanooga for a while, but eventually
                  the superior arms and manufacturing capability of the north broke the
                  resistance.

                  After the War, many of the former rebels, including one branch of my
                  family, moved westward to Arkansas, Texas and beyond.

                  John McCollum Green

                • madolyn jysele
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
                    My Great Great Grandfather fought for the Union Army. He died at Bridgeport, Al - but he didn't die in battle he died of dysentery from digging ditches. The people of Jackson County did not take likely to a Union sympathizer. My Great Great Grandfather was stabbed at his home, the people burn't his home, then when they moved the stigma stayed with them. Every year they have a re-enactment of the war in Bridgeport, Al and we have a Fort here in Stevenson, Al called Fort Harker.

                    I also wanted to tell you that the Archives in Washington, Dc is a place to look for much information. My Great Great Grandmother filed so many papers right up to her death, I can read those papers and virtually live her life for many years. She even filed papers for a corn crop that was taken and she gave so much personal information that gave to me info I would not have normally had.

                    There were indeed Union soldiers from this area and they paid dearly from their neighbors......Madolyn

                  • jackie morgan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
                      You didn't say his name.
                      My family lived in Jackson County during that time as well. I know nothing of what their life was like or really which side they supported.
                      I am working on James R. BRYAN and his wife Susan DENMAN BRYAN. They lived in the Bridgeport area as well.

                      Jackie Morgan

                      Genealogist & Quilter

                      I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
                      �Daughter, if you don�t remember us, who will?��

[...]

                    • Chadwick Raines
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
                        Madolyn,
                        Do you have any more info on the Union soldiers from Jackson Co? My husband's grandfather was in the Co I 8th Ind Calvary [Union] but we always assumed he was forced to go with them. He was a Mashburn. Any info on the Union soldiers from J C would be appreciated. [how they were treated, etc]
                        Barbara
[...]

                          their neighbors...There were

                          Home.

                        • starry3731
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 28, 2008
                            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvia King" <kingirby@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Does anyone have any information on Jackson County men serving in
                            the union army during the Civil War? I was researching an uncle,
                            John M. IRBY who served in the 1st Alabama Calvary according to some
                            records I have found.
                            > I have a tintype picture with the notation that he died about 1864
                            in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Any information would be appreciated.
                            > Sylvia Lacy King
                            >
                            > researching, Irby, Wallace in Jackson County.

                            My ggg-grandfather Jennings Pemberton was from the Valley Head area
                            of Dekalb County. He was for the Union on the grounds that he thought
                            that the Union would tend to be better to the poor people rather than
                            oppress them like some of the more affluent southerners. After being
                            pressured by the locals to choose sides, he was attacked stabbed, &
                            was about to be hanged, & (as the story goes) he somehow got away &
                            fled over the mountain to Jackson County where there suppossedly were
                            alot of Unionist & enlisted in the 1st Alabama & Tennessee
                            Independent Videdette Calvary U. S. A. He enlisted January 1, 1862
                            There is information to be oredered through the NARA for civil war
                            Claims & copies of applications of these claims, that you can get in
                            order to receive a ton of genealogy information about how you family
                            struggled through these times.
                          • madolyn jysele
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6, 2008
                              My Great Great Grandfather was also Jennings Pemberton - he died at Bridgeport, al. He and his wife were first cousins. Any pemberton's or Bondurant's / Bundren Surname please contact me.

                              Madolyn York
                              P.O. Box 572
                              Stevenson, Al 35772
                              256-437-3493