Union Troops from Jackson County

  • Sylvia King
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
      Does anyone have any information on Jackson County men serving in the union army during the Civil War? I was researching an uncle, John M. IRBY who served in the 1st Alabama Calvary according to some records I have found.
      I have a tintype picture with the notation that he died about 1864 in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Any information would be appreciated.
      Sylvia Lacy King

      researching, Irby, Wallace in Jackson County.

    • Linda Wilson
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
        If you go to a search engine( I used Yahoo) and put in "1st Alabama Calvary"
        you will get some information.

      • Jerry Birchfield
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
          Sylvia,
          I also had a family member in the 1st AL Cav. Here is the link
          where I found a lot information on him:
          http://www.archives.state.al.us/referenc/military.html
          Good luck in your search!!!

          Jerry Birchfield

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvia King" <kingirby@...>
          wrote:

          > Does anyone have any information on Jackson County men serving in
          the union army during the Civil War? I was researching an uncle,
          John M. IRBY who served in the 1st Alabama Calvary according to some
          records I have found.
          > I have a tintype picture with the notation that he died about 1864
          in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Any information would be appreciated.
          > Sylvia Lacy King
          >
          > researching, Irby, Wallace in Jackson County.

        • Jimmie Ryan
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
            Since I do not know what you are specifically looking for; here are some of
            the web sites that came up during a "Google" search; I am sure that within
            some of this information you should be able to locate what you are looking
            for. I am interested in your Irby, I believe I have a few in my database
            for this area - but I have not checked yours in particular. Let me know if
            I can be of any help, do you have a data of birth for your Irby?

            Jimmie Ryan
            Elijah Brazier b 1776 NC (1830 Blount Census)

            http://www.annistonstar.com/opinion/2008/as-letters-0214-speakout-8b13s1224.
            htm

            Speak Out ... Yankee soldiers from Alabama - Readers' fiery reactions:
            records Union Troops from Alabama.

            http://www.nps.gov/archive/vick/us_reg/ustroops.htm

            This one references:
            UNION TROOPS,
            VICKSBURG CAMPAIGN

            ALABAMA

            1st Alabama Cavalry, 1st Battalion, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, & G
            1st Alabama Siege Artillery, Company A
            1st Alabama Infantry [African Descent]

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Alabama_Cavalry_Regiment_%28Union%29

            The 1st Alabama Cavalry Regiment was a cavalry regiment recruited from
            southern loyalists that served in the Union Army during the American Civil
            War.

            Service

            The 1st Alabama Cavalry was raised from Alabama Unionists at Huntsville,
            Alabama and Memphis, Tennessee in October, 1862 after Federal troops
            occupied the area. It was attached to the XVI Corps in various divisions
            until November 1864, when it became part of the XV Corps. During this time,
            its duties mostly consisted of scouting, raiding, reconnaissance, flank
            guard, and providing screening to the infantry while on the march.

            The regiment was selected by Major General William T. Sherman to be his
            escort as he began his march to the sea. It was assigned to the Third
            Division of the Cavalry Corps, Military Division of the Mississippi in
            January 1865. It fought at the battles of Monroe's Crossroads and
            Bentonville and was present at the surrender of the Army of Tennessee at the
            Bennett Place. It was sent to the District of Northern Alabama, Department
            of the Cumberland in June 1865.

            The regiment was mustered out of service at Huntsville, Alabama on October
            20, 1865, with only 397 men present. Out of the 2,000 men who served in the
            unit during the course of the war, 345 were killed in action, died in
            prison, of disease or other non-battle causes, 88 were captured, and 279
            deserted, with no accurate count of the number of wounded.

            Women

            The women of the Alabama Unionists who joined the Federal military helped
            with long distance communication networks, and they were able to move freely
            from town to town because of their gender. When these women lost their
            husbands, it was often a struggle to survive, and they were completely
            ostracized by the pro-Southern society.

            Slaves

            "Regardless of the Union's ambivalence toward slaves and slavery, black men
            and women in Alabama" saw the Union occupation as the surest path to
            freedom. [1] With regards to Union foraging and the practicing of hard war,
            while some slaves and free blacks "viewed the loss of goods as negligible in
            light of the security and opportunities. Federal occupation brought them,"
            for many, "loss of even small property meant increased vulnerability to
            whatever white people won the war."[

            List of Alabama Union Civil War regiments
            From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            Jump to: navigation, search
            This is a list of regiments from the U.S. state of Alabama that fought in
            the Union Army during the American Civil War (1861-1865):

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Union_Civil_War_regiments

            Artillery

            1st Regiment Alabama Siege Artillery (African Descent)

            Cavalry

            1st Alabama Cavalry Regiment (Union)

            Infantry

            1st Alabama Volunteer Infantry Regiment (African Descent)
            2nd Alabama Volunteer Infantry Regiment (African Descent)
            3rd Alabama Volunteer Infantry Regiment (African Descent)
            4th Alabama Volunteer Infantry Regiment (African Descent)

            See also

            Lists of American Civil War Regiments by State
            Alabama Civil War Confederate Units
            Alabama in the American Civil War

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
              John M Irby

              Age: 21 Rank at enlistment: Private Company Assignment: G 2/15/1863 Enlisted Chewalla, TN 4/10/1863 Prisoner of War 10/26/1863 Missing in Action Vincent's Crossroads, MS 11/26/1863 Mustered Out Memphis, TN

              Joseph A Irby

              Age: 18 Rank at enlistment: Private Company Assignment: G 2/15/1863 Enlisted Chewalla, TN 4/10/1863 Prisoner of War 11/26/1863 Mustered Out Memphis, TNNotes:
              Notation states, "see also Vo. B, 1st Miss. Mt'd Rifles."

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                1st Cavalry website.

                www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com

                History and rosters.

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Seem to have got at space where this isn't one.

                  www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Wrong again. Just got out of the hospital not working at 100%.

                    www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com

                  • RON aKINS
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Hi Clay,It is interesting that there were Union soldiers from Jackson County.Dade County,GA which is next door was the first county in the South to secede fom the Union.Were there many slave owners in Jackson County?

                      clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote: Wrong again. Just got out of the hospital not working at 100%.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
                        Interesting also that in the listing provided on the Irby's they had
                        "Prisoner of War" in the record, were they forced to fire against there
                        Southern Brothers? Were they under treat of death if they did not
                        participate in the occupying army of the North. It seems our families of
                        this time had many hard questions posed to them, and many hardships to bear.

                        Jimmie
                        Elijah Brazier b 1800 SC d 1869 Jackson, Alabama

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
                          http://www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com/

                          RON aKINS <akinsron@...> wrote: Hi Clay,It is interesting that there were Union soldiers from Jackson County.Dade County,GA which is next door was the first county in the South to secede fom the Union.Were there many slave owners in Jackson County?

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 6, 2008
                            Jimmie

                            Quite the contrary, John M. Irby was taken prisoner by the Confederate Troops. All of the 1st Alabama were supporters of the Union and volunteers. Most volunteered when the Governor sent conscription troops to force them to enlisted on the Southern side.

                            Clay

                            To answer Ron Atkins question.

                            Jackson Co. in 1860 had 14,858 whites and 3411 slaves. There were about 55 people with more than 20 slaves. The most 70 owned by C.C. Clay who was from Madison Co. if I remember correctly. S. J. Jones owned 52. F. A. Province owned 46. Thos. J. Robinson 39. Jackson Co. had nothing like what they had in the "black belt" to the south.

                            Northern Alabama, Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina had strong supporters of the Union. A lot of this area will not support large scale cotton growing. These three areas consisted of mostly small farmers most of whom owned no slaves and they saw no reason why they should fight to benefit the large plantation slave owners. I also think that much of the Jackson Co's population was made up of a large number of people who came there to get away from control by the government, were very independent and would have resisted being told what to do. More support for the South came when Union troops invaded and did a great deal of destruction in Jackson Co one report that only fence posts were left in and around Bellefonte.

                            Whether anyone likes it or not those were the the facts and realities.

                            My GGGrandmother Catherine (Mitchell) Gullatt owned 3 slaves, her son William own 5, all except 1 was of the same family (Burt and Peggy Gullatt) and likely descendants of slaves John and Catherine Gullatt had when they moved from Fairfax Co. VA to Lincoln Co. GA in 1800 then to Jackson Co. in 1816/17 (then the Cherokee Nation).

                            On the other side of the coin of my GGGrandmother Martha "Patsy" (Phillips) Harper widow of John Payne Harper it was said by witnesses on her application for a War of 1812 was a strongly for the Union, the whole family was strongly in support of the US government and the leading Union family in county, her son in law Thomas Latham and two of her grandsons went into the Union Army, In all the time of the Rebellion I never heard her utter one sentiment disloyal to the the Union or authorities of the US but strongly adhered to the government of the US. The Harpers were descendants of Quakers most of whom did not believe in slavery. After the War she when to Van Zandt Co. TX to live with her son in law Henry Tipton and his daughter and near sons Andrew J. and Robert T.. She returned to Jackson Co. sometime in the 1870s. In 1880 she is listed as age 84 living with a Yankee family Henry P. and John F. Wicks from NY. She died in 1883/84.

                            Her son in law and my GGrandfather James M. Gullatt was taken prisoner by Union troops with two others and the report said they were with arms. Great-Aunt Jane (Gullatt) Kirby said that James M. served in the Civil War. No record of his service except he did receive some type of pension from the government. It may have been for the Mexican Warn. I always though he was probably a spy for the South.

                            Great-Great-Uncle William Gullatt is listed as a Union Loyalist even though he owned slaves. On the 1880 census Peggy Gullatt, some of her children and grandchildren are living next to William. The Grandchildren are listed as mulattoes so I have thought that they were probably William's children, he had no others.

                            Also listed as a Union Loyalist was Henry H. Coalson who married Juliet Gullatt.

                            My Great-Great-Aunt Nancy (Gullatt) Airheart had 5 sons 3 of whom served the South and 2 the Union. That must have made for some interesting family conversations.

                            There is nothing simplistic about the Civil War.

                            You have to admit that Southern families are complex and interesting.

                            I am sure that many others in the Group have similar stories. I remember one where their Union ancestors had to flee in the night and hide in caves until they could escape Jackson Co. Yes, passions and tempers ran high.

                            I do not want this to turn into a discussion of why the war was fought or who was right or wrong there are other forums for that. I know there are strong feelings on both sides. Maybe it's that Quaker heritage in me coming out that insists on peace and harmony.

                          • Jimmie Ryan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                              Thank you for your correction, Clay I so appreciate it. My reference was to
                              the listing provided to the list as a reference for John Irby's involvement
                              in the unit; I believed on the second line it stated "Prisoner of War." My
                              family lost 2 to the Civil War, William and Ellis Brazier and yes this area
                              was alive with activity since it seemed to be the main battle line for the
                              Union; and, also the connection to a different scale of trains; which helped
                              the south starve off the Union advance. The importance of the rail head at
                              both Jackson County, and Atlanta were both the objectives, I believe, of the
                              Union in there trust into the south.

                              My ggg grandfather, James Belton Lovless watched the burning of Atlanta as
                              he left for Indiana. After the war he returned to Blount County to live out
                              his life until 1900. Of course the third death for my Brazier family was
                              Elijah b 1800 d 1868 on his farm in Maynard Cove. It is said that his wife,
                              Betty Stephens Brazier Messer would ware black until her death in 1884, even
                              after she married William Messer of Jackson. It is interesting you have
                              Mitchell's and Robinson in the reference as they along with S J Jones are
                              allied families of Elijah Brazier b 1776 d 1859, all seemed to come from
                              Madison as it appears the staging area for those that would settle this
                              Indian area. Cuz Jimmie

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 8, 2008
                                Jimmie,

                                I had often wondered why there had been so many cavalry raids in
                                northeast Alabama and south central Tennessee. The book "With Blood
                                and Fire: Life behind Union Lines in Middle Tennessee 1863 -1865" by
                                Michael R. Bradley explains this very well. The Northern strategy was
                                to cut the South in half. Their occupation of middle TN gave them
                                control of the railroad that ran from Nashville to Chattanooga via
                                Stevenson Alabama. They badly needed this railroad to move supplies
                                for the siege of Chattanooga. The route from Nashville to Huntsville
                                and then on to Stevenson was much longer and the Mussel Shoals near
                                Florence prevented the use of the Tennessee River for supplies since
                                steam boats could not cross the Shoals. There were many "Bushwackers"
                                as the southern underground was termed throughout the area. The common
                                folk were caught in the middle. If they didn't help the bushwackers
                                the rebels would attack them, and if they did help, the Union
                                occupation forces attacked them. Raiding in this area by the south
                                held the invasion forces off of Chattanooga for a while, but eventually
                                the superior arms and manufacturing capability of the north broke the
                                resistance.

                                After the War, many of the former rebels, including one branch of my
                                family, moved westward to Arkansas, Texas and beyond.

                                John McCollum Green

                              • madolyn jysele
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
                                  My Great Great Grandfather fought for the Union Army. He died at Bridgeport, Al - but he didn't die in battle he died of dysentery from digging ditches. The people of Jackson County did not take likely to a Union sympathizer. My Great Great Grandfather was stabbed at his home, the people burn't his home, then when they moved the stigma stayed with them. Every year they have a re-enactment of the war in Bridgeport, Al and we have a Fort here in Stevenson, Al called Fort Harker.

                                  I also wanted to tell you that the Archives in Washington, Dc is a place to look for much information. My Great Great Grandmother filed so many papers right up to her death, I can read those papers and virtually live her life for many years. She even filed papers for a corn crop that was taken and she gave so much personal information that gave to me info I would not have normally had.

                                  There were indeed Union soldiers from this area and they paid dearly from their neighbors......Madolyn

                                • jackie morgan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
                                    You didn't say his name.
                                    My family lived in Jackson County during that time as well. I know nothing of what their life was like or really which side they supported.
                                    I am working on James R. BRYAN and his wife Susan DENMAN BRYAN. They lived in the Bridgeport area as well.

                                    Jackie Morgan

                                    Genealogist & Quilter

                                    I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
                                    �Daughter, if you don�t remember us, who will?��

[...]

                                  • Chadwick Raines
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 26, 2008
                                      Madolyn,
                                      Do you have any more info on the Union soldiers from Jackson Co? My husband's grandfather was in the Co I 8th Ind Calvary [Union] but we always assumed he was forced to go with them. He was a Mashburn. Any info on the Union soldiers from J C would be appreciated. [how they were treated, etc]
                                      Barbara
[...]

                                        their neighbors...There were

                                        Home.

                                      • starry3731
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 28, 2008
                                          wrote:

                                          > Does anyone have any information on Jackson County men serving in
                                          the union army during the Civil War? I was researching an uncle,
                                          John M. IRBY who served in the 1st Alabama Calvary according to some
                                          records I have found.
                                          > I have a tintype picture with the notation that he died about 1864
                                          in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Any information would be appreciated.
                                          > Sylvia Lacy King
                                          >
                                          > researching, Irby, Wallace in Jackson County.

                                          My ggg-grandfather Jennings Pemberton was from the Valley Head area
                                          of Dekalb County. He was for the Union on the grounds that he thought
                                          that the Union would tend to be better to the poor people rather than
                                          oppress them like some of the more affluent southerners. After being
                                          pressured by the locals to choose sides, he was attacked stabbed, &
                                          was about to be hanged, & (as the story goes) he somehow got away &
                                          fled over the mountain to Jackson County where there suppossedly were
                                          alot of Unionist & enlisted in the 1st Alabama & Tennessee
                                          Independent Videdette Calvary U. S. A. He enlisted January 1, 1862
                                          There is information to be oredered through the NARA for civil war
                                          Claims & copies of applications of these claims, that you can get in
                                          order to receive a ton of genealogy information about how you family
                                          struggled through these times.
                                        • madolyn jysele
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 6, 2008
                                            My Great Great Grandfather was also Jennings Pemberton - he died at Bridgeport, al. He and his wife were first cousins. Any pemberton's or Bondurant's / Bundren Surname please contact me.

                                            Madolyn York
                                            P.O. Box 572
                                            Stevenson, Al 35772
                                            256-437-3493