WACO DERRICK OLD HOME PLACE

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2008
      The key word in the original query was OLD as opposed to the last place Waco Derrick lived before he died.
      Waco Derrick was born in Woods Cove. His father, I. T. Derrick, Sr., moved his family to town when he purchased the city block on the south side of Laurel Street between Houston and Caldwell Streets. The Derrick family lived in a house at the corner of Houston and Laurel Street. Their house was next to the old Coca Cola bottling plant on Laurel Street. In the 1920s, I. T. Derrick, Sr. built a large department store building just east of his home and called it the Red Hot Store. There were three generations of Derricks who operated a family clothing store in this building over a period of 70 years. The area is now known as Derrick's Mini-Mall, and it houses an antique store, a frame shop, and a beauty shop.
      Ann Chambless

    • JL Hamilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 22, 2008
        Is there some way to learn what became of Tommy Derrick?
        John

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 22, 2008
          John,

          I graduated from SHS in 1965 with Tommy Derrick. I haven't heard from
          him in years, but Sam Hunt Holland or his wife may know something. I
          think they helped organize our last class union.

          John McCollum Green (Johnny Mac)
          On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:47 AM, JL Hamilton wrote:

          > Is there some way to learn what became of Tommy Derrick?
          > John
          >
          > _____

        • JL Hamilton
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22, 2008
            Thank you so very much.
            John

            _____

          • Btweety98412376@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 22, 2008
              I.T?Derrick Married Carrie May Judge.What is I.T Derrick Full name do you know?
              ???? do you how children Carrie and I.T Derrick Had? Waco Derrick was one of the?
              ??? Kids.?This is Bernetta Mitchell

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 22, 2008
                In the 1920 census it looks like DERRICK, I T head, Carrie wife, Ruby,
                daughter, Porter B and Boyd. I'm not really sure because it is hard to
                read. Looks like they were living in Wood Cove and not to far from a JUDGE
                family.
                Regina

                _____

                From: HYPERLINK
[...]

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                9:21 AM

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                9:21 AM

              • John Green
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 22, 2008
                  Bernetta,

                  As I recall, I. T. Derrick did not have any other names. He was one of
                  three brothers who were named only initials at birth: I. T., L. V.
                  (who later took the name "Lenord when not having a name got to be a
                  problem), I think the third brother was R. B.

                  John McCollum Green

                • Brent W
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 22, 2008
                    thanks so much for the location....back to Scottsboro I go trying to find the house.

                    John Green <dragonriders@...> wrote: Bernetta,

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
                      who was the JUDGE Family?

                      From: HYPERLINK