Re: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 272

  • Mary Branum
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2001
      Please unsubscribe me.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <jacksongenealogy@egroups.com>
      To: <jacksongenealogy@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 12:44 AM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 272

      There are 7 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. unsubscribe
      From: SjonesArk@...
      2. Viruses and How to Get Rid of Them
      From: "Patty Woodall" <pattywoo@...>
      3. Re: unsubscribe
      From: dkjrmcg@...
      4. Re: RE: Talitha Snodgrass/Paint Rock Valley Pioneers
      From: KLinge6131@...
      5. SARC Write-up - Wscript.KakWorm
      From: "Dana Keys" <CheroKeys@...>
      6. Unsubscribe me
      From: "Marie Harper" <marie_harper_ga@...>
      7. Re: Digest Number 271
      From: "Larry A. Hancock" <lah431@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:56:20 EST
      From: SjonesArk@...

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:34:02 -0000
      From: "Patty Woodall" <pattywoo@...>
      Subject: Viruses and How to Get Rid of Them

      This is Norton's Antivirus page that tell you how to get rid of
      viruses. It is very useful so please keep it and pass it to all your
      friends. http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ Futhermore, if you do
      not have either Norton's Antivirus or McAfee's Antivirus, you are not
      protected well enough. Buy one or the other and set it to update
      virus definitions on a DAILY basis. If you do not update, then you
      are not protected against new viruses. Both can be set to update in
      the middle of the night or whenever you wish so as not bother you
      when you are using your computer.

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:01:30 EST
      From: dkjrmcg@...

      UNSUBSCRIBE

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:25:46 EST
      From: KLinge6131@...
      Subject: Re: RE: Talitha Snodgrass/Paint Rock Valley Pioneers

      Ann, I also am interested in Sodgrass in Jackson Co.. My great Grandmother
      was Eliza Snodgrass who married William C. Clark. Have you or anyone heard
      of
      her? Kay Lingenfelter

      Message: 5
      Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:11:27 -0800
      From: "Dana Keys" <CheroKeys@...>
      Subject: SARC Write-up - Wscript.KakWorm

      SARC Write-up - Wscript.KakWorm

      (c)1995-2001 Symantec Corporation.
      All rights reserved.

      Legal Notices
      Privacy Policy

      Wscript.KakWorm
      Discovered on: December 30, 1999

      VBS.KakWorm spreads using Microsoft Outlook Express.
      It attaches itself to all outgoing messages via the Signature feature of
      Outlook Express and Internet Explorer newsgroup reader.

      The worm utilizes a known Microsoft Outlook Express
      security hole so that a viral file is created on the system without having
      to run any attachment. Simply reading the received email message will cause
      the virus to be placed on the system.

      Microsoft has patched this security hole. The patch
      is available from Microsoft's website. If you have a patched version of
      Outlook Express, this worm will not work automatically.

      Click here to download tool to repair
      Wscript.Kakworm damage

      Also Known As: : VBS.Kak.Worm, Kagou-Anti-Krosoft

      Category: Worm

      Infection Length: 4116 Bytes

      Virus Definitions: December 30, 1999

      Threat Assessment:

      Wild:
      High Damage:
      Medium Distribution:
      High

      Wild:

      a.. Number of infections: More than 1000
      b.. Number of sites: 3 - 9
      c.. Geographical distribution: High
      d.. Threat containment: Moderate
      e.. Removal: Moderate
      Damage:

      a.. Payload Trigger: First of any month at 5pm
      b.. Payload: Modifies the registry keys and shuts
      down Windows
      a.. Degrades performance: Shuts Down Windows
      a.. Size of attachment: 4116 bytes
      b.. Target of infection: Microsoft Outlook
      Express, Internet Explorer Usenet Newsreader

      Technical description:

      The worm appends itself to the end of legitimate
      outgoing messages as a signature. When receiving the message, the worm will
      automatically insert a copy of itself into the appropriate StartUp directory
      of the Windows operating system for both English and French language
      versions. The file created is named KAK.HTA.

      The worm utilizes a known Microsoft Outlook Express
      security hole, Scriptlet.Typelib, so that a viral file is created on the
      system without having to run any attachment. Simply reading the received
      email message will cause the virus to be placed on the system.

      Microsoft has patched this security hole. The patch
      is available from Microsoft's website. If you have a patched version of
      Outlook Express, this worm will not work automatically.

      HTA files are executed by current versions of
      Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator. The system must be
      rebooted for this file to be executed. Once executed, the worm modifies the
      registry key:

      HKCU/Identities/<Identity>/Software/
      Microsoft/Outlook/Express/5.0/signatures

      in order to add its own signature file, which is the
      infected KAK.HTA file. This causes all outgoing mail to be appended by the
      worm. In addition, the registry key:

      HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/
      CurrentVersion/Run/cAgOu

      is added which causes the worm to be executed each
      time the computer is restarted.

      Finally, if it is the first of the month and the
      hour is 17 (5:00pm), the following message is displayed:

      Kagou-Anti-Kro$oft says not today!

      and Windows is sent the message to shutdown.

      Removal instructions:

      Please click here for removal instructions.

      Write-up by: Eric Chien
      Tell a Friend about this Write-Up

      Security Updates
      Symantec AntiVirus Research Center and SWAT

      Download Virus Definitions
      Keep your protection up to date

      Virus Encyclopedia
      Search for Information on Viruses, Worms and
      Trojan Horses

      Virus Hoaxes
      Information on Virus Hoaxes

      Newsletter
      Email Sent from the Symantec AntiVirus Research
      Center

      Reference Area
      Learn About Virus Detection Technologies

      Submit Virus Samples
      Send Suspected Threats for Review

      ----

      wscript.kakworm.html

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 6
      Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:04:01 -0500
      From: "Marie Harper" <marie_harper_ga@...>

      Unsubscribe me.

      Message: 7
      Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:51:27 -0600
      From: "Larry A. Hancock" <lah431@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 271

      ..... "I read an e- mail from ANN ROHR that was not an attachment. It
      had no return address so I wrote on the bottom as I am doing now and
      replied. I have been told there was a virus but it must have been in the
      origional message. Charles Vanzant"......

      If everyone would delete the message they received and just send their
      message replying to it, the virus wouldn't have been sent, and we would
      not have to read every entire message over and over and over and over and
      over and over!!!
      It is real easy to do. Forwarding and replying are easily done without
      sending out again what you just received with just a little forethought!

      I too did not receive any virus!!

      LAH