Ben Shahn's photographs of Scottsboro

  • nettiebau1952
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
      I was trying to pare down my email recently. I keep notes from this
      forum that have info I want to remember and some day use, and I
      created a Word doc for these valuable postings.

      One of the postings I found was about the Library of Congress photos
      of the Skyline project, taken by Ben Shahn. This name range a bell
      because I remembered an Auburn alumni publication talking about
      Auburn owning some Ben Shahn paintings. So I searched for all of his
      photos and found that the first five are not Skyline, but are instead
      of Scottsboro in the 30s.

      http://memory.loc.gov:80/cgi-bin/query/b?ammem/fsaall:LC-USF33-006237-
      M1:collection=fsa

      Left to right, the first is the courthouse incorrectly labeled as a
      Scottsboro home. The second is two men sitting in front of the Ford
      dealership on the corner of Peachtree and Market, the east side of
      the square. My husband's great grandfather, John Benson, started this
      dealership with a Mr. Padgett. My father-in-law, Bill Bradford,
      remembers the two men. He said they were brothers and that one of
      them was retarded and the other one looked after him. They sat in
      that spot on the square frequently when he was there as a child.

      The third picture is of Pat's Place, selling 5 cent burgers. Bill
      also remembers this place and says it was in a no-longer-existing
      open spot on the east side of the square.

      The last two pictures are of the Scottsboro Post Office, located on
      the corner of that same block, the near the corner of Laurel and
      Market. So clearly, he walked down one street in Scottsboro shooting
      pictures before going to Skyline.

      I thought if you had found the other photos by searching on Skyline,
      you might have missed these. Here is more info about Ben Shahn from
      Wikipedia. Notice that he was part of the Farm Security
      Administration group of photographers who documented rural people
      during the depression. The most famous of those pictures are the dust
      bowl shots of the worried woman with her hand resting on her chin
      taken by Dorothea Lange. Eudora Welty was also one of these
      photographers, as was Life photographer W. Eugene Smith who also shot
      pictures of Scottsboro and has a great first Monday shot of
      Scottsboro in the 30s.

      Annette Bradford

      Ben Shahn bio below.

      Ben Shahn (September 12, 1898 - March 14, 1969) was a Lithuanian-born
      American artist, muralist, social activist, photographer and teacher.
      He is best known for his works of Social realism, his leftist
      political views, and his series of lectures published as The Shape of
      Content.

      He was born in Kovno (Kaunas), Lithuania, to Joshua Hessel and Gittel
      (Lieberman) Shahn. His father was exiled to Siberia for alleged
      revolutionary activities in 1902, at which point Shahn, his mother,
      and his three younger siblings moved to Vilkomir (Ukmergë). In 1906,
      the family emigrated to America where they rejoined Hessel, who had
      fled Siberia. They settled in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn,
      New York. Shahn began his path to becoming an artist in New York,
      where he was first trained as a typographer. Shahn's early
      experiences with typography and graphic design is apparent in his
      later prints and paintings which often include the combination of
      text and image. Shahn's primary medium was egg tempera, popular among
      Social Realists.

      He was recommended by Walker Evans, a friend and former roommate, to
      Roy Stryker to join the photographic group at the Farm Security
      Administration (FSA), traveling and documenting the American south
      alongside Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange and other photographers. In
      May and June 1933 he served as an assistant to Diego Rivera while
      Rivera executed the infamous Rockefeller Center mural, and by
      circulating a petition among the workers, Shahn had a role in fanning
      the controversy. Shahn left the FSA in 1938, and that same year he
      and his wife Bernarda moved to the new town of Jersey Homesteads (now
      Roosevelt, New Jersey).

      In 1975, the Harvard University Press published The Photographic Eye
      of Ben Shahn, which has a collection of his works.
    • Regina Pipes
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2008
        Where can I find these pictures? I went to the web site after clicking on
        the site in your e-mail but where do I gofrom there?

        Thanks

        Regina

        _____

        I was trying to pare down my email recently. I keep notes from this
        forum that have info I want to remember and some day use, and I
        created a Word doc for these valuable postings.

        One of the postings I found was about the Library of Congress photos
        of the Skyline project, taken by Ben Shahn. This name range a bell
        because I remembered an Auburn alumni publication talking about
        Auburn owning some Ben Shahn paintings. So I searched for all of his
        photos and found that the first five are not Skyline, but are instead
        of Scottsboro in the 30s.

        HYPERLINK
        "http://memory.loc.gov:80/cgi-bin/query/b?ammem/fsaall:LC-USF33-006237-"http
[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        1:50 PM

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        1:50 PM

      • nettiebau1952
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
          I should have guessed yahoo would break this long URL strangely. You
          may have to paste it in two pieces. The original note reproduced it
          twice. I should start with http and end with =fsa

          http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/b?ammem/fsaall:LC-USF33-006237-
          M1:collection=fsa

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Regina Pipes" <rgpipes@...>
          wrote:

          > Where can I find these pictures? I went to the web site after
          clicking on
          > the site in your e-mail but where do I gofrom there?
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Regina
          >

          > _____

          2/2/2008
          > 1:50 PM

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          2/2/2008

        • DrKirby25@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
            A link to Skyline:
            _Search Results_
            (http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/fsaall:@FILREQ(@FIELD(SUBJ+@3(+Skyline+Farms++Alabama+))+@FIELD(COLLID+fsa))) URL
            _http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/fsaall:@FILREQ(@FIELD(SUBJ+@3(+Skyline+Farms++
            Alabama+))+@FIELD(COLLID+fsa_
            (http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/fsaall:@FILREQ(@FIELD(SUBJ+@3(+Skyline+Farms++Alabama+))+@FIELD(COLLID+fsa) ))

            In a message dated 2/3/2008 8:24:48 A.M. Central Standard Time,
            abradford@... writes:

            I should have guessed yahoo would break this long URL strangely. You
            may have to paste it in two pieces. The original note reproduced it
            twice. I should start with http and end with =fsa

            _http://memory.http://memorhttp://memhttp://memory.http://mehttp://_
            (http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/b?ammem/fsaall:LC-USF33-006237-)
            M1:collection=M1:

            --- In _jacksongenealogy@jacksongeneajac_
            (mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com) , "Regina Pipes" <rgpipes@...>
            wrote:

            > Where can I find these pictures? I went to the web site after
            clicking on
            > the site in your e-mail but where do I gofrom there?
            >

            > Thanks
            >
            > Regina
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: _jacksongenealogy@jacksongeneajac_
            > I was trying to pare down my email recently. I keep notes from this
            > forum that have info I want to remember and some day use, and I
            > created a Word doc for these valuable postings.
            >
            > One of the postings I found was about the Library of Congress
            photos
            > of the Skyline project, taken by Ben Shahn. This name range a bell
            > because I remembered an Auburn alumni publication talking about
            > Auburn owning some Ben Shahn paintings. So I searched for all of
            his
            > photos and found that the first five are not Skyline, but are
            instead
            > of Scottsboro in the 30s.
            >
            > HYPERLINK
            > "_http://memory.http://memohttp://memory.http://memory.http://me_
            (http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/b?ammem/fsaall:LC-USF33-)
            006237-"http
            > ://memory.-loc. ://memo ://me ://m ://mem :/
            006237-
> [...]
            >
            > He was recommended by Walker Evans, a friend and former roommate,
            > Roy Stryker to join the photographic group at the Farm Security
            > Administration (FSA), traveling and documenting the American south
            > alongside Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange and other photographers. In
            > May and June 1933 he served as an assistant to Diego Rivera while
            > Rivera executed the infamous Rockefeller Center mural, and by
            > circulating a petition among the workers, Shahn had a role in
            fanning
            > the controversy. Shahn left the FSA in 1938, and that same year he
            > and his wife Bernarda moved to the new town of Jersey Homesteads
            (now
            > Roosevelt, New Jersey).
            >
            > In 1975, the Harvard University Press published The Photographic
            Eye
            > of Ben Shahn, which has a collection of his works.

            2/2/2008
            > 1:50 PM

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            2/2/2008
            > 1:50 PM

            48)

          • rgpipes@hughes.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
              This is what I get when I try to use these web sites below. When I click
              on them this is what I get.
              Our Search Engine encountered a problem with your query. Please check that
              you have entered a query.

              Thanks
              Regina

              _____

              HYPERLINK "mailto:abradford%40nc.rr.com"abradford@nc.-rr.com writes:

              I should have guessed yahoo would break this long URL strangely. You
              may have to paste it in two pieces. The original note reproduced it
              twice. I should start with http and end with =fsa

              _HYPERLINK
              "http://memory.http://memorhttp://memhttp://memory.http://mehttp://_"http://
              memory.-http://memorhttp-://memhttp:-//memory.-http://mehttp:-//_
              (HYPERLINK
              "http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/b?ammem/fsaall:LC-USF33-006237-"http://
              memory.-loc.gov/cgi--bin/query/-b?ammem/fsaall:-LC-USF33--006237-)
              M1:collection=-M1:

              --- In _jacksongenealogy@-jacksongeneajac_
              (mailto:HYPERLINK
              "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
              m) , "Regina Pipes" <rgpipes@...->

              "http://memory.http://memohttp://memory.http://memory.http://me_"http://memo
              "http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/b?ammem/fsaall:LC-USF33-"http://memory.
> [...]
              >
              > He was recommended by Walker Evans, a friend and former roommate,
              > Roy Stryker to join the photographic group at the Farm Security
              > Administration (FSA), traveling and documenting the American south
              > alongside Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange and other photographers. In
              > May and June 1933 he served as an assistant to Diego Rivera while
              > Rivera executed the infamous Rockefeller Center mural, and by
              > circulating a petition among the workers, Shahn had a role in
              fanning
              > the controversy. Shahn left the FSA in 1938, and that same year he
              > and his wife Bernarda moved to the new town of Jersey Homesteads
              (now
              > Roosevelt, New Jersey).
              >
              > In 1975, the Harvard University Press published The Photographic
              Eye
              > of Ben Shahn, which has a collection of his works.

              2/2/2008
              > 1:50 PM

              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              2/2/2008
              > 1:50 PM

              ************-**Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.
              (HYPERLINK
              "http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp0030000
              00025"http://music.-aol.com/grammys/-pictures/-never-won--a-grammy?-NCID=aol
              cmp00300-0000025
              48)

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              1:50 PM

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              1:50 PM

            • rgpipes@hughes.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
                When I go to this site it comes up with thei site
                HYPERLINK "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsowhome.html"America from the Great
                Depression to World War II: Photographs from the FSA-OWI, 1935-1945
                Number:

                When I click on what comes up I find this

                HYPERLINK "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html"[American Memory]

                HYPERLINK "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsowcap.html"FSA-OWI Photographs
                1935-1946
                HYPERLINK "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fahome.html"Black & White
                Photos
                Over 160,000 photographs currently available HYPERLINK
                "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsachtml/fsowhome.html"Color Photos
                1600 total photographs

                HYPERLINK "http://lcweb.loc.gov/rr/print/"Prints and Photographs Division,
                Library of Congress

                _____

                The images in the HYPERLINK
                "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fsainfo.html"Farm Security
                Administration-HYPERLINK
                "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/owiinfo.html"Office of War Information
                Collection are among the most famous documentary photographs ever produced.
                Created by a group of U.S. government photographers, the images show
                Americans in every part of the nation. In the early years, the project
                emphasized rural life and the negative impact of the Great Depression, farm
                mechanization, and the Dust Bowl. In later years, the photographers turned
                their attention to the mobilization effort for World War II. The core of the
                collection consists of about 164,000 black-and-white photographs. This
                release provides HYPERLINK
                "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fahome.html"access to over 160,000 of
                these images; future additions will expand the black-and-white offering. The
                FSA-OWI photographers also produced about HYPERLINK
                "http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsachtml/fsowhome.html"1600 color photographs
                during the latter days of the project.

                Where do I go from here to find the pictures on Scottsboro?

                Thanks

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                1:50 PM

              • paula stockebrand
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2008
                    Google American Memory From the Library of Congress - Home Page click on this when this comes up then enter Scottsboro Alabama or Skyline Farms in their search engine.